What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After 6 days in the brewfridge at 14 c , I took my pilsener out yesterday to sit in an insulated box in the shed
where it's now sitting at around 13 c, fermentation having slowed now after a quick start.

In it's place I put a Mangrove Jacks American IPA which I made with their light liquid malt extract
and a little dextrose for an og of 1056.

Planning on upping my capacity with another fv and barrel to increase my choice and stock for Xmas.
Another/bigger fridge is probably what I'd really like - starting to come around to the idea of getting a couple of corny kegs if I could find a suitable one.
I brewed a lager 4 weeks ago and it's been on the garage floor from day 1.
Shall need to get it into the keg shortly.

Took a day off work today and put a brew on. Did my first ever SMaSH. First time using Galaxy too. Very close to a recipe I found on Brew Father for a Passionfruit Cerveza but just Pilsner malt and cheating a bit with CML Cali common yeast. There’s only 55g of hops in it, including the dry hop, so not expecting anything overly hoppy. I suppose I’m hoping I end up with something similar to Adnams dry hopped Lager which is dry hopped with Galaxy and delicious in my opinion (for a Lager)

All went pretty well and came it in at 1.052 OG instead of the predicted 1.050 which means I got over 70% BHE for the first time with my Brewzilla. Only minor issue was when I dropped the top of my airlock into the FV when pitching the yeast. I wasn’t going to mess about trying to fish it out so it’s still in there. I just put a bit of sanitised tin foil over the top of the airlock. It’s now sitting in the brew fridge at 18 degrees. I’ll just leave it all alone for a fortnight now. Not worth opening the door. With no airlock there’s nothing to see 🙄

72491665-B540-45ED-9B03-2FAFB9924138.jpeg
31ACD74A-E96F-4999-AAE8-77044D8E1836.jpeg

BB5FD0DD-77F0-4860-BF9E-0B628E0F34ED.jpeg
Was feeling lazy so have brewed Youngs Harvest Barley Wine, I replaced the sugar/LME with 2.5KG of Maris Otter mashed for an hour at 66 degrees, then boiled for 30 minutes to ensure it was sterile. Malt extract was dissolved in the bucket with the boiling wort. Yeast wise I am using the slurry from the Yorkshire Bitter I bottled this morning Wyeast West Yorkshire Yeast, it’s rated up to 9% (wort comes in at 1.076) so should come in around about 7.35% according to brewers friend, however it wouldn’t surprise me if the final gravity is a little lower and this the ABV a little higher.

View attachment 35603
Having a go at the GH Yorkshire Bitter recipe, slightly annoyed though was .2 degrees off my target mash temperature. Recipe has a fairly high amount of torrified wheat however hopefully this will help give the large creamy head that you are meant to have on a pint of Yorkshire Bitter. First time I have brewed a GH recipe, but given the number of times his initials crop up in the what are you brewing/drinking thread I am fairly optimistic.

Beer itself is almost fully cooled now and has come in at 1.039 so a little off target (1.041) but I can live with this. I’m fermenting this with Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire yeast, first time in a while I have used liquid but as the recipe had a recommended yeast I decided to give it a go. If all goes to plan this should come in at around about 3.6-3.8%
I feel your pain...
IMG_20201115_102837.jpg

Checking the gravity on my Belgian Pale Ale today 1.004! It's super clear and tastes good too. WLP530 is a beast.
IMG_20201121_113823.jpg
IMG_20201121_113948.jpg

Going to crash it now and bottle it tomorrow.

MY first stove top AG. Followed Clibits guide, with the addition of a cool box for the mash.
7.5l of MO Golding SMaSH in a 12l pot. Fingers x'd for a good result, as I went for a 25kg bag of MO.
I'll try it again soon with Bramling Cross hops. Hopefully I can be more efficient and feel more I'm control! It will be good to compare the results from the two hops.
_20201121_132506.JPG

_20201121_132601.JPG

I did a bit of an experimental one today, it was going to be a standard stout but I found a bag of sarsparilla root powder in my box of random homebrew stuff a while ago that I'd meant to do something with for a while but never had.

So, long story short, a sarsparilla stout. I may have overdone it a bit though as it smells like root beer times a thousand.

Kegged my Old Freckled Chicken today. This was the first time used used CML Midland yeast.
The brew was in the FV for the usual 14 days in total but I was later than normal turning the temperature down on the brew fridge for cold crash and it was also in the fridge that only goes down to about 4 degrees on the lowest setting. The other gets to zero.
Anyway, this was cold crashed for just two days at 4 degrees and when I kegged it today I was shocked how solid the yeast cake was. I usually get something pretty solid, especially if using Wilko Gervin but this shocked me. The only reason I couldn’t get that last bit of brew out was because the siphon opening was too high. The tap was full of sediment so I couldn’t use that. In hindsight, I think I could probably have tipped the FV up and poured the rest out without disturbing the yeast!! As long as this tastes good I’ll certainly be using this yeast again.

BD81EDBD-2334-4F21-BE1A-0606062445F4.jpeg

Just mashed in on a 4.9% pale ale, 75%chevallier pale malt, 12.5%imperial malt and rolled oats each. Challenger, fuggles and EKG to go in the boil and fermentation using CML Beoir
I've just bottled at 4.5%, sample is nice and clear, tasted good too!

Attachments

• IMG_20201121_162826656.jpg
    IMG_20201121_162826656.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 43
Had a great brewday today. Really getting a rhythm with my kit now. Brewed a Kölsch, only tried this style just before lockdown2 and loved it.

4.5kg Pilsner
0.5kg Munich mashed @ 66degC
Perle at 60mins
Took a risk and went with Mandarina Bavaria at 5mins and Flameout, not traditional but 🤷
CML Kentucky Yeast
Into the fermenter for 2 weeks at 18degC and then 2 week lager before 🍻

Last edited:
I did a bit of an experimental one today, it was going to be a standard stout but I found a bag of sarsparilla root powder in my box of random homebrew stuff a while ago that I'd meant to do something with for a while but never had.

So, long story short, a sarsparilla stout. I may have overdone it a bit though as it smells like root beer times a thousand.
That sounds amazing, I might have to try this. How much sarsparilla did you use?

That sounds amazing, I might have to try this. How much sarsparilla did you use?

I only brew a gallon at a time so I thought keeping it on the low side would be best, 25g, in hindsight I probably should have used less but I love sarsparilla flavour so I very much doubt it will be too much.

When I got to the pitching stage it had mellowed a bit but I think that was just due to the cooler temperature, it's bubbling away now and there's a faint root beery smell coming out of the airlock.

I have a gut feeling that this will either be the greatest beer the world has ever seen or bilge not fit for the sink. Time will tell...

fair to say, I may have caught a bug here... Second AG pale ale boiling away this morning. Famous last words. But things have gone more smoothly so far this morning!
_20201122_091527.JPG

Also finished reading the GH book and now want to buy 50 different types of malt and hops and yeast 🙄

Not really sure what this is, I'm going with a Belgian Abbey but it could be a Dubbel as its very dark (SRM 50) and will be around 8%
3KG(41.4%) Pilsner
3KG(41.4%) Abbey
750G (10.3%)Chocolate (malt)
500G(6.9%) Special W
25G Magnum @ 60 min.

Latest posts

Back