What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20 litres of HPA - recipe off the HPA thread - full grain brew no. 4.
Didn’t forget to do anything this time.

Attachments

• 6C995076-C85D-4CC0-9B39-FED5DD261631.jpeg
    6C995076-C85D-4CC0-9B39-FED5DD261631.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 51
22 litres of Dunkelweizen
2700g Wheat malt
2300g Munich malt
100g Chocolate malt
300g Special B malt
Mash 60m @ 65C
Sparge 20m @ 75C
60m boil
20g Northern Brewer @ 60m
1 Protofloc @ 15m
CML Kristallweizen yeast @ 24C
OG 1053
BHE 70%
IBU 17
SRM 18

16L of my Hop Harvest pale ale. This is a re-brew of one I did a few months ago and is made with my home grown Prima Donna hops. Also the first brew I have done using my RO filter. Our water is very hard and high alkalinity so it needed 7:1 RO:tap water to get to the desired profile. Thanks to @strange-steve for posting his water calculator - the mash hit the calculated pH dead on athumb.. I'm hoping that having the correct water profile will take my beer to the mythical 'next level'.

Collecting the RO water yesterday, it ran at 6L per hour.
IMG_20210122_091239.jpg

Wort boiling out in the frozen garden this morning
IMG_20210123_091659.jpg

Home grown leaf hops. These have a wonderful fresh aroma, reminds me of marigolds which takes me back to my parents garden as a child. A total of 100g go into this brew.
IMG_20210123_092247.jpg

Finally the OG reading
IMG_20210123_113815.jpg

Overnight mash means that everything was completed, cleaned and tidied away in 3.5hrs this morning athumb.. Something has gone on with the efficiency as I have got 1.050 instead of the predicted 1.044. Okay I got 1L less wort than expected (probably absorbed by the leaf hops) but even so that is more than calculated at that volume. Anyway, it's in the fermenter at 19.5 degrees C with MJ Liberty Bell and I expect to see activity by this evening.
Cheers acheers.

16L of my Hop Harvest pale ale. This is a re-brew of one I did a few months ago and is made with my home grown Prima Donna hops. Also the first brew I have done using my RO filter. Our water is very hard and high alkalinity so it needed 7:1 RO:tap water to get to the desired profile. Thanks to @strange-steve for posting his water calculator - the mash hit the calculated pH dead on athumb.. I'm hoping that having the correct water profile will take my beer to the mythical 'next level'.

View attachment 39989

Wort boiling out in the frozen garden this morning View attachment 39990

Home grown leaf hops. These have a wonderful fresh aroma, reminds me of marigolds which takes me back to my parents garden as a child. A total of 100g go into this brew. View attachment 39991

Finally the OG reading View attachment 39992
Overnight mash means that everything was completed, cleaned and tidied away in 3.5hrs this morning athumb.. Something has gone on with the efficiency as I have got 1.050 instead of the predicted 1.044. Okay I got 1L less wort than expected (probably absorbed by the leaf hops) but even so that is more than calculated at that volume. Anyway, it's in the fermenter at 19.5 degrees C with MJ Liberty Bell and I expect to see activity by this evening.
Cheers acheers.
Thats a fine looking kettle you have there Chris just like mine, one question do you lift it with the handles or do you pump the wort out , stand mine on an old tool box

Thats a fine looking kettle you have there Chris just like mine, one question do you lift it with the handles or do you pump the wort out , stand mine on an old tool box
Yes I believe we both have the klarstein fullhorn, it's great for my needs.

I do lift it up with the handles and stand it on a table to drain. However I have recently ordered a pump to ease the lifting and for safety.

Yes I believe we both have the klarstein fullhorn, it's great for my needs.

I do lift it up with the handles and stand it on a table to drain. However I have recently ordered a pump to ease the lifting and for safety.
They are a great little kettle for the money i love mine, can you let me know how it goes with the pump and what make it is please thanks athumb..

View attachment 39989

Wort boiling out in the frozen garden this morning View attachment 39990

Home grown leaf hops. These have a wonderful fresh aroma, reminds me of marigolds which takes me back to my parents garden as a child. A total of 100g go into this brew. View attachment 39991

Finally the OG reading View attachment 39992
Cheers acheers.

Hi Chris, there’s a good chance the improved efficiency (at least in part) is due to the correct mash pH/alkalinity. Welcome to RO waterville!

23L Pilsner + 1L frozen for a starter in the future.

og 1.049
5kg Crisp German Pilsner
Step Mash
64c 45mins 73c 30mins
Hops were a mix of challenger and homegrown hallertau mittelfruh
35 IBU 60mins , plus a 25g late addition of HM
34/70 rehydrated and attemporated, pitched at 10c, set temp to 12c though.

Belgian Tripple will be on the go later tonight. Lager malt, aromatic malt, Belgian candi sugar, bittered with Polaris, hallertaur hersbrucker late in the boil and fermented with the Chimay strain 🍺

Greg Hughes Mild

I was ordering some other odds and ends from Malt Miller and saw they had Mild malt so decided to give it ago (rather than singing in something else). Brew day went fairly smoothly with 10.5L in the fermentor (I tend to loose a litre or so to trub so calling it 9.5L).

Issue was efficiency was somewhat higher than expected (I compensate to 62% my normal efficiency) so rather than the expected 1.034 ended up with 1.038. Wounding if it is the very small grain bill less than 2KG in 10L of water, but will make a note for next time.

Yeast wise I am using Wyeast 1318 London Ale III, and hoping this should still come in sub 4%.

I've stuck a Young's American IPA on today. I've had the kit for a while but had a good stock of beer. Today is the day though.

Didn't brew anything. After not going in my brewery for a few weeks I went In. To find everything covered in white yeast it was growing on all the stainless steel, so so after spending hours bleaching everything I only managed to bottle my dark lager that has been lagering for the last 8 weeks.
IMG_20210123_163717.jpg

Haven't brewed today, but just finished kegging my Zombie pale. Was planning to make a WOW as well, (the first one in yonks) but then noticed that the Apple & Mango juice I bought yesterday had sucrolose in it. aheadbutt Oh well, will have to look more closely at the ingredients lists next time I go shopping.

Brewed a Belgian Tripel today but my HERMS coil started leaking whilst using it as an immersion chiller ☹️ Ended up with 5 litres of tap water diluting my wort and then bumping the gravity back up with LME and candi sugar. It’ll either be amazing or bloody awful 😂

Brewed a big stout today, 1 gallon OG came in at 1.075 (1.083) so a bit under:

4.5L
Maris Otter - 1200g
Flakes Oats - 200g
Brown Malt - 150g
Black Malt - 50g
Dextrose - 75g (@15 boil)

Bullion - 8g FWH
Bramling Cross - 10g @ 30
Bullion - 5g @5
Bramling Cross - 5g @5

Nottingham yeast