What Did you Cook this Weekend?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this Saturday I made a Lasagne

Attachments

• H-M Lasagne.jpg
    H-M Lasagne.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 22
Using some African spice (I think it's African--berbere). It seems like the African version of curry. It's pretty hot--itching scalp, hot face and a thought on where the bathroom might be.
I'm using it in some white beans sautéed in onions and garlic. I added a couple bay leaves, turmeric, salt (of course) and tomato paste. I'm cooking it all in vegetable stock, beans from raw state.
It seems to shine best on rice.
I don't post stuff I think sucks (like a peanut butter and pickle sandwich).
Edit: since beans don't photo well, and I don't want to leave anyone wanting, here's a national chain's pizza I made an adjustment to:
pizza makeover.jpg

It worked out better than I thought it would.

Last edited:
Using some African spice (I think it's African--berbere). It seems like the African version of curry. It's pretty hot--itching scalp, hot face and a thought on where the bathroom might be.
I'm using it in some white beans sautéed in onions and garlic. I added a couple bay leaves, turmeric, salt (of course) and tomato paste. I'm cooking it all in vegetable stock, beans from raw state.
It seems to shine best on rice.
I don't post stuff I think sucks (like a peanut butter and pickle sandwich).
Edit: since beans don't photo well, and I don't want to leave anyone wanting, here's a national chain's pizza I made an adjustment to:View attachment 65142
It worked out better than I thought it would.
the beans sound really good 👍🏻

My contribution to dinner tonight. Duck breast seasoned with salt pepper and 5 spice, pan fried for a crispy skin then 10minutes in the oven for a perfect pink. No.1 son used the rendered duck fat to stir fry the veg for his signature Chou Mein. Apologies for no after pic, the family were on it like Oprah on a ham.
87C3C397-AA23-4429-8E33-E69609446385.jpeg

We tried ostrich some years back. I suppose I was looking for it to be tender like chicken. I've had duck but I can't say it was cooked correctly. As a result I do not crave duck. Would be interested in a proper method.
I have never cooked ostrich, but I’ve eaten it. It’s a very lean meat so will be difficult to get right.
My duck method (for pan fried breast).
Score the skin and fat down to the breast meat and season well with salt and pepper. I like to let it rest for half an hour, the salt pulls moisture out of the skin and helps it go crispy.
Heat a pan on a moderate heat, no oil, and put the duck breast in skin side down. The fat will render and you need to pour it off once or twice to keep the pan dryish. After 5 minutes it should be golden and done, filp the breast over for a minute or so to seal. (That’s the point that I took the photo)
Put in the oven on a pre heated tray, whatever 140C is in Fahrenheit, 10 minutes will give you a breast that’s pink the whole way through, I go a bit longer to keep the family happy.
Rest for 10 minutes before slicing. If it’s too pink at this stage, 2-3 minutes back in the oven should shut the philistines up.

todays dinner home made classic Beef Burger 😋🍔
I noticed the grilled bread--gives it that little extra.
We used mayo for grilling the bread (instead of butter or fake butter) on one item when I was in the restaurant business. The mayo results in a caramelization factor which is pretty good.
I buy Waygu burgers by the case (4.5+ KG) locally. I prefer 1/2 pound patties but 1/3 pounders are more appropriate for serving the guests we have.
I don't get any real discount doing it that way, just convenience. If there is a deal from buying bulk at this particular place, I'm not seeing it. 106 pounds (money) for the box of burgers.

Latest posts

Back