What did you do today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking cricket I see the USA had a good win vs Ireland the other day.
How about that? Do the US players show good sportsmanship? Seems impressive, not something I would expect generally. Was it an upset? Cricket's completely over my head though, I have to admit. I think I saw part of a match on All Creatures Great and Small.

I don't know, Ireland rank much higher than the States so it was definitely an upset. USA had a terrible start too so it made it even more impressive. Haha, All Creatures Great and Small, I haven't seen that in 30 years. 🤣

You have to figure the leg up a club has having been immersed in a sport since birth (unlike here). Trying to gain all that in a short time would be difficult.
I talked about sports today. Now that I'm on topic....
In ice hockey, the play-by-play guy uses some rugby language. Rugby seems a violent and brutal sport. Definitely for the young.
Edit: American football, after a certain age, is relatively dangerous. I know, can't go hide in a padded room for 80 years but it is tempting fate. And boxing (not boxing day, fisticuffs), don't get me started.

UK football.
I'm 45% to 47% hip on the UK lingo though still having trouble on how to use the vulgar "take the p***" in a sentence.
I was talking to some guy from the UK (super nice person) and I said, "What's the deal with calling someone a "wan*er?" Honestly had no idea what it meant. He blushed. I dropped the subject.
While we're on the subject--Harry Potter. Is snogging just kissing?
Oh, we're making these oatmeal cookies with a date filling (me being on topic). The recipe is so old it calls for oleo. We're making them for the wife's uncles.

I'm 45% to 47% hip on the UK lingo though still having trouble on how to use the vulgar "take the p***" in a sentence.
I was talking to some guy from the UK (super nice person) and I said, "What's the deal with calling someone a "wan*er?" Honestly had no idea what it meant. He blushed. I dropped the subject.
Oh, we're making these oatmeal cookies with a date filling (me being on topic). The recipe is so old it calls for oleo. We're making them for the wife's uncles.
Well...you can take the pi55 out of your mates..ie. rip em to bits on their dodgy shirt,half mast pants...all in jest.
Alternatively you could have someone quote a very over priced fee for a job who would be taking the pi55...
Yeah...snogging...kissing,lots of.
Oleo...dunno.

Oleo...dunno.
As far as I know, it is not margarine as we know it. Margarine is arguably tasty. It was a best-effort butter substitute during WWII in the US. Resources were in short supply. That's all I know. If oleo was everywhere back then, so be it. I do know that US citizens gave up their pots and pans for the war effort.
But now you're throwing "dodgy" and "half-mast pants" out there. I can Google those but it is unlikely I will get the concept.
It's all good--it's a process.
Seriously, I'd love to have a well-worn cottage, go for jogs on different steep and low grades, do my thing, and so on. Go to a pub, have my own mug hanging one the wall. Lovely.

Ooo I’ve not seen this thread before … and given the Santa beers tonight, let me have a go at answering your queries:
‘Are you taking the pi$$? ‘ can be used as a retort if you think someone is saying something ridiculous, like suggesting a price well below expected for something. A ‘pi$$ take’ is someone being aggressively or derogatorily sarcastic. I’m terms of context or setting - spoken on casual settings or if you are in a secure boss type role speaking to someone in a parental/command control role in a derisory way.
‘W@nker’ is much more complicated. - can be used as an insult or between friends in a bizarrely complimentary way. I suggest watching Ted Lasso series 1 for context of both. Personally not something I’d ever say in any context but it can be used quite inoffensively in many roles. Basically don’t use unless others are already using, be aware the edge between offensive and ok use can be quite nuanced.
Snogging - kissing while intoxicated, a teenager or both. Or if talking to BFFs about a fit guy/girl you’ve kissed in a passionate and immediate way. Used derogatory by school kids in an envious way to describe their friends kissing someone.

I blame the dopplebock …

Anns

As far as I know, it is not margarine as we know it. Margarine is arguably tasty. It was a best-effort butter substitute during WWII in the US. Resources were in short supply. That's all I know. If oleo was everywhere back then, so be it. I do know that US citizens gave up their pots and pans for the war effort.
But now you're throwing "dodgy" and "half-mast pants" out there. I can Google those but it is unlikely I will get the concept.
It's all good--it's a process.
Seriously, I'd love to have a well-worn cottage, go for jogs on different steep and low grades, do my thing, and so on. Go to a pub, have my own mug hanging one the wall. Lovely.
Right....your mates turn up in a "loud"shirt...Big flowers or flamingoes...even though its technically a great shirt...you HAVE to take the pi55...I know its hard to "get" ..pi55taking is a seasoned art...it comes easy to UK people as its normal,can be unforgiving and downright brutal but as we "get" it there's no offence taken. You can however take the pi55 in a "making fun/nasty" type of way.

Years ago I was audited by Boeing on the machine I ran making composites for the aerospace industry...it took about a week.
The chap was very thorough, polite and very nice. At the end of it he thanked us for our help etc....then asked us what a w@nker" was...as he'd heard us talking about other people...

Oh I think Ted Lasso put it best about W@nker
  • Ted's son : Daddy, what's a ******?
    Ted Lasso : Well, that's a... that's a man who likes to be alone with his thoughts.

Right....your mates turn up in a "loud"shirt...Big flowers or flamingoes...even though its technically a great shirt...you HAVE to take the pi55...I know its hard to "get" ..pi55taking is a seasoned art...it comes easy to UK people as its normal,can be unforgiving and downright brutal but as we "get" it there's no offence taken. You can however take the pi55 in a "making fun/nasty" type of way.
I'll hit this tomorrow. Will be fun.

Latest posts

Back