What do I need for a Corny keg setup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m trying to work out what I need for a Corny keg setup. Lots of places to buy bits, but I can’t find a place that explains what I actually need for a setup ready to add beer to.

If anybody can explain this it would be helpful. Also, if anybody can recommend a good place to buy the kit, that would be good.

Hi Polcho
The Malt Miller i have heard are very good. There are some great videos on there website which are very helpful. Have been watching them recently to understand the ins and outs of Corny Kegs/Set Up

I have recently gone down this route, and though simple it does seem to take quite a while to get your head round it, well it did for me. I am not intitially going to bother with a kegerator setup but now have 2 x 5 litre mini kegs and some 19L cornies. My idea is to keep the cornies in the cool garage (or a fridge at a push in summer) and decant from the cornies in to the 5 litres which will stay in the fridge. The cornies will carbonate and run off a 6.3Kgs CO2 and the 5 litres will use 16Oz capsules.

So my simple system is, a gas line out of the cylinder with a gas disconnect on which will connect as needed to the ball lock on the corny keg to carbonate and dispense if necessary. That is it, thats all I need for that.

Then I have a beer line with a black liquid ball lock disconnect on each end, with this I will transfer from the corny to the mini keg.
On the mini keg I have a mini regulator with 16oz CO2 and a flow control tap on a liquid disconnect and that is the whole system.
If I wish I can connect the flow control tap to the corny and serve from there. I think flow control is worth paying extra for.

On this journey I spoke to three sources, I appreciate they were all busy and right after Easter break, however:
1) Malt Miller - They were very helpful on the phone, no feeling of being rushed and lots of good advice on the mini kegs and this is where I ordered them from. They did not have some stuff in stock so I had to source elsewhere.

2) BrewKegTap - Tried to phone them but message on the website said they were very busy after Easter Break so please email your query and they would get back to you. I did email and they never got back to me so I was determined to buy elsewhere.

3) Brew2Bottle - I phoned here and they could not be more helpful, the guy I spoke to described pros and cons of everything and how it worked, they had everything in stock, 2 x 19L corny kegs, all the disconnects etc. All was in my basket and I was poised to hit the buy button when I realised I did not know the dimensions of the kegs (I wanted the thinner taller one's) I called back and spoke to somebody else who said he would check and get back, I left the checkout page open ready to buy but no phone call, so I rang back and was told he was in the warehouse now measuring them up and would call back in a couple of mins. No phone call. So I closed the page.

Despite saying I would not buy from BrewKegTap, the dimensions were on the website so I placed the order. Delivery was not the fastest but it all arrived within a week. Brew2Bottle you lost the order I'm afraid.

@Galena - Some great ideas there. Large cornies for storage, small kegs for dispense. You have me thinking this might be a good approach. So I will need to buy more kegs 🤘🤘

@Polcho - I was in your position not a month or so ago. I ended up going with a two corny kit that includes everything bar beer and CO2. It may be overkill if you're not going the kegerator route, but you will probaby end up doing this anyway if you have the space for the kegerator. Yes - the initial outlay is expensive, but cornies and regulators seem to hold their value. When I did a cursory glance at pricing, it seemed that whilst I might save a quid or two buying from separate sources, it was a hassle and as I didnt know what I was doing, the risk of getting something that wasn't compatible with something else was high. Plus buying a complete kit meant I only had one place to deal with if there were any problems. I bougt from BrewKegTap and their service has been excellent. Hope that helps.

Thanks, all very helpful. I’ve just started on the way to AG and I’m trying to go step by step.
rightly or wrongly I decided that control over fermentation was the place to start. So I got the GF wifi conical fermenter.
So pleased with that. It went from flapping like a budgie over the temperature, to, well nothing other than checking the phone from time to time.
Now I’m just trying to pull a glass of beer in less than 30 mins from King kegs, so I’m prioritising the dispensing part of the operation.
At least, when I buy the all in one, I will know the fermentation and the dispensing is ok, so any issues will be down to me mucking up the brew!

In terms of the Co2.
I have been using the canisters in the photos for the King kegs.
Does anybody know if these can be used with the Corny Kegs?

Attachments

• 66F68334-3F6F-47BF-91F0-53D3BD09B0EC.jpeg
    66F68334-3F6F-47BF-91F0-53D3BD09B0EC.jpeg
    24.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 518E99B5-5328-4551-888B-70E9133DC379.jpeg
    518E99B5-5328-4551-888B-70E9133DC379.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 4E198BCC-C0AE-46A8-B616-EEC977998C98.jpeg
    4E198BCC-C0AE-46A8-B616-EEC977998C98.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 11279151-ED13-4C07-9452-B36BEA609543.jpeg
    11279151-ED13-4C07-9452-B36BEA609543.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 61
  • D5E0423C-1C4F-4B13-B7EE-70CDF25450F5.jpeg
    D5E0423C-1C4F-4B13-B7EE-70CDF25450F5.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 60
In terms of the Co2.
I have been using the canisters in the photos for the King kegs.
Does anybody know if these can be used with the Corny Kegs?

Looks similar to sodastream bottle so probably fine, just a case of getting correct regulator.

I'm also considering kegging, I have a couple of old Boots pressure barrels which work well but
as I'm now brewing small all grain batches I'm looking at 10L mini kegs ( bottling anything over ).
which may be worth considering.

You can prime these with sugar just like with a barrel and top up with Co2 bulbs as needed.
A simpler way if you don't want the hassle of Co2 gas bottle,tubing and kegerator etc.

Mini kegs will fit in my spare fridge I use for cold crashing/conditioning bottles.

Looks similar to sodastream bottle so probably fine, just a case of getting correct regulator.
Sodastream has external thread whereas the brewgas canister pictured has an internal thread. @Polcho , I'm not familiar with that type of canister so can't recommend what to do next. I would assume you will need a suitable adapter from the brewgas cylinder to a 5/8" thread.

I think you have all the info you need but this might help if you’re still unsure...

If you decide to use corny kegs (and that’s a good choice) you will obviously need the keg(s) but also some other bits.

You don’t need to worry about carbonating drops or priming sugar for carbonating your beer in a corny keg, you’ll use CO2 gas for that so let’s start there.

You need a supply of CO2. This is normally obtained from a bottled gas supply company - I use Adams Gas. You pay a one-off deposit (around £50) for the bottle and then pay for the gas (around £20 for 6Kg which will last many months).

You need a primary gas regulator to regulate the pressure coming out of the bottle. The pressure in the bottle is around 500psi but you won’t be putting anything like that in your corny - this is more likely to be in the range 10psi to 30psi. The primary regulator fits directly to the gas bottle and has two gauges; one showing the bottle pressure and one showing the pressure you’re sending to your keg(s).

View attachment 40400

You need some pipe to take the gas from the regulator to the corny keg. This is usually 3/8 inch. If you have more than one keg you need a manifold, this has one gas input and 2 to 6 outputs. Each output has it’s own isolation valve and has a “check valve” to prevent back-flow. Again, these usually have 3/8 push-fit inputs and outputs.

View attachment 40398

At the keg end of the pipe you need a ball-lock gas disconnect with a 3/8 John Guest push-fit connector. The picture below shows a pair. The grey one is gas, the black one is beer (we’ll come back to this). They are different sizes so make sure you use the right one on the right post of the corny keg.

View attachment 40399

Gas goes into the keg to carbonate your beer and push the beer out. The corny keg has a gas-in post and a beer-out post. The black ball-lock disconnect goes on the beer-out post and you’ll need some more pipe from the black disconnect to whatever tap you choose. Normally the beer pipe is a smaller bore, most commonly 3/16 inch. You may need a John Guest 3/16-3/8 straight coupler if the black disconnect comes with a 3/8 push-fit connector and you’re using 3/16 beer line. You may need the same at the tap end unless you buy taps with 3/16 John Guest fittings.

Last edited:
Another vote for brewkegtap, I bought all of my kegs/regulators from them and never had a problem. Only contacted customer service once for clarification before placing an order and had a quick reply

Back