What do I need for a Corny keg setup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding fridges for a kegerator..
Do you buy new or chance a used, borrowed,cadged unit?
Do I go for two or three taps? I seen some nice taps in MM which claim to drain better..but they're quite expensive. Do you need flow control?
How many cornies do I need?
Does everyone still brew 23l and bottle a few?

Do I go for two or three taps? I seen some nice taps in MM which claim to drain better..but they're quite expensive. Do you need flow control?

I went for an old fridge. I went two taps because the fridge-freezer I have would need to be attacked with a hacksaw for me to get 3 kegs in. The Nukataps/Intertaps work beautifully. Don't worry about flow control. I have one of each, but rarely need to adjust flow. I have 4 cornies. I brew short to come out with 18-19l into keg. Absolutely no reason why you couldn't stick to 23l and bottle the rest.

It’s very helpful getting real recommendations on suppliers from people one actually knows, rather than raking through these reviews from who knows where athumb..

If you aren't sure about everything you need, your best bet is buying a keg setup. I got mine from the malt miller. After a while you will become more familiar with all things keg related and it will seem very simple. But to begin with, it can be a bit daunting.

One thing I will say is, how you transfer your beer from your FV is important. Ideally you want to do a closed transfer to eliminate oxygen from your brew. I was using kegs for about 18 months before I started doing closed transfers and the difference in the beer is night and day. Especially hoppy beers. It is certainly something worth considering, IMO.

What do you want and what budget do you have?

For me, new is the right approach because it’s clean and unabused but if you’re working to a budget you may have to choose used.

Number of taps? Surely the more the better! More seriously, how many beers do you want on tap at any given time? I have 6 (but I’m greedy).

Do you need flow control? No. But if you don’t have flow-control you’ll be friggin’ about with beer line lengths and sizes and with CO2 pressure trying to get the best compromise between head/froth and flow. Flow-control, just turn the control tap.

You need 2 cornies for each tap if you want continuous supply for each, one on tap, one conditioning.

Batch size? I brew 20 litre batches for cornies and 23 litre batches for PBS

Hopefully helpful.

What do you want and what budget do you have?

For me, new is the right approach because it’s clean and unabused but if you’re working to a budget you may have to choose used.

Number of taps? Surely the more the better! More seriously, how many beers do you want on tap at any given time? I have 6 (but I’m greedy).

Do you need flow control? No. But if you don’t have flow-control you’ll be friggin’ about with beer line lengths and sizes and with CO2 pressure trying to get the best compromise between head/froth and flow. Flow-control, just turn the control tap.

You need 2 cornies for each tap if you want continuous supply for each, one on tap, one conditioning.

Batch size? I brew 20 litre batches for cornies and 23 litre batches for PBS

Hopefully helpful.
Very helpful!

I use Co2 Gas for Doncaster Barnsley Rotherham Sheffield, Leeds, Hull, York. Wakefield, Scunthorpe, Lincoln in Doncaster as its just down the road from us.

He'll sell you a cylinder for £40 or so and refills are £20

As others have said Brewkegtap do complete kits and I can't fault mine. They worked out slightly cheaper then others if I recall.

+1 for this supplier picked mine up on Thursday £50 for tank which becomes yours I went for the 6.35kg tank and then £20 to fill and refills good service.

I got my kegs from BKT too went for the double corny, kit as I could just, about fit 2 in the fridge. Easy to set up came with instructions.

It's my first venture into kegs and they are currently full and now it's just a waiting game for them to carbonate hopefully il be sampling them over the Bank holiday weekend. Only question is now do I order 2 more for continous supply 🤔

I bought a 2nd hand chest freezer, a length of 2x4 and some 18mm ply for mine. It holds 4 and 2 mini kegs. If you can get larder fridge in decent nick then that is ideal.

I went for 3 taps and 3 kegs, Intertap/Nukatap are really good and worth spending a bit extra on I believe. Again the BKT kits come with everything you need apart from the gas and were a) priced well and b) in stock when I wanted mine.

My batch sizes vary depending on the brew. Generally I still aim for 23L unless its something that won't bottle well or stuff I am not going to share in which case I do aim for 20L knowing I'll get a full keg of 19L

Latest posts

Back