What do people use to help clear their beer?

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

the baron

Staff member
Reaction score
Half a Protofloc/Whirfloc tablet to a standard 23l brew 10 t0 15 mins before the end of the boil.
I generally do not need to fine my beers and just let the majority clear naturally but you can use Gelatin or Kwik Clear which is a double fining product

chopps

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Protafloc here too. I used to chuck a whole tablet in, and for ages struggled with 6 litres of fluffy protein at the bottom of the kettle. It came above the ball valve when I tried to drain. Real pain in the rear. Now I crush them and put in a bit less than a gram for a 23L batch. Do you want to try it OB, can get a couple to you to test?

Tanglefoot

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cold crashing and time.
But then I'm only doing kits ( but happy with quality of what I can produce with a minimum of effort ).

marshbrewer

The p**s artist previously known as JJSH
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kettle - 1/2 a protofloc tablet in. 20L batch, which I am thinking is too much. Might try 1/4 next time.

Keg / Bottle - Cold crashing before packaging, then time, unless I'm low on stock and in a hurry, then I've used Wilko Beer finings a couple of times.

Pezza24

Regular.
Reaction score
Protafloc here too. I used to chuck a whole tablet in, and for ages struggled with 6 litres of fluffy protein at the bottom of the kettle. It came above the ball valve when I tried to drain. Real pain in the rear. Now I crush them and put in a bit less than a gram for a 23L batch. Do you want to try it OB, can get a couple to you to test?
So that's why I had the problem then haha. Threw a whole one in about 14L of wort and and up just dumping the whole lot into the FV to let it settle out as there was fluffy stuff everywhere. I'll go for a lot less next time.

the baron

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes certainly a whole one is too much in a standard 23l brew I use half and as JJSH says that may be too much depending on the brew sometimes.

chopps

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So that's why I had the problem then haha. Threw a whole one in about 14L of wort and and up just dumping the whole lot into the FV to let it settle out as there was fluffy stuff everywhere. I'll go for a lot less next time.
Yep. It still works out fine eventually, but looks like a lava lamp fermenter for a few days!

Galena

Landlord.
Reaction score
Whirfloc 5 mins before the end of the boil and often Chitosan on bottling, though usually it's pretty clear at this point.

JockyBrewer

Regular.
Reaction score
I use brewbrite. It’s a mix of carageenan (Irish moss) and PVPP. Chuck it in the boil with 10 minutes to go, and aside from beers with a heavy dry hop you’ll end up with beautifully clear beer in the keg after a bit of conditioning.

foxy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Irish Moss @ 10 mins boil, cold crash to -1 to -2 C (ABV dependant) for a couple of days to clear.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
Protafloc in the boil. Cold crash after fermentation, then time and patience.

Latest posts