What do we think about the whole independence thing in general?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With Wales now really pushing for independence, and of course Scotland waiting for the results of the election. How do we feel about the possible break up of the Union?

If I was Scottish or Welsh I wouldn't like major policy decisions being made by a majority of English MPs, with an often London centric vision. The flip side of that coin is that London generates a lot of the UK's wealth, so maybe you have to live with it. But, as a northerner, I actually resent the way this country is run, by upper class twits, following the long established snout/trough tradition. So on balance I think I'd vote to leave the union if I was Scottish or Welsh, to end the feeling of being governed by posh English types with little interest in or understanding of Scotland.

A united Ireland is inevitable, I think, sooner the better really.

If Nicola does well at the coming elections she will force a referendum. Boris will try to win support with promises of billions but why should the Scots believe him.
Wales will not vote for independence as they are too small a state.
NI is a problem that no one wants, the Republic don't want a United Ireland and a referendum would reject it too.

If Nicola does well at the coming elections she will force a referendum. Boris will try to win support with promises of billions but why should the Scots believe him.
NI is a problem that no one wants, the Republic don't want a United Ireland and a referendum would reject it too.
Yesterday's news...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.rte.ie/amp/1213202/

There is strength in unity. If all the Irish north and south are in agreeance thats fine. Splitting a small island nation does not make sense. Like saying Yorkshire or Lancashire wanted there own government. I just can't see any benefit.

Wales current population is 3.15m, so bigger than:
Albania 2.8
Lithuania 2.7
North Macedonia 2
Slovenia 2
Latvia 1.8
Estonia 1.3
Then Montenegro, Luxembourg, Malta, Iceland, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Andora, Faroes, Monaco, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Gibralter all have less than 1 million.

Just because we only have 3 million people doesn't mean we ought to be governed by England.

Well, if it happens, I for one will be laughing and throwing metaphorical chips at those English people who are incandescent with anger that those in Scotland or Wales dare to break up the Union, yet only a few years earlier voted for the UK to leave the EU.

I think that in these cases, why would you stop the logic at a certain point? The knife always cuts at both sides. If people at a certain level decide that they wanted to be free of the EU, what reason would they have to stop other people to decide that they want to be free of them?

Albania 2.8
Lithuania 2.7
North Macedonia 2
Slovenia 2
Latvia 1.8
Estonia 1.3
Then Montenegro, Luxembourg, Malta, Iceland, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Andora, Faroes, Monaco, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Gibralter all have less than 1 million.

Just because we only have 3 million people doesn't mean we ought to be governed by England.
I said the Welsh people will not vote in favour of independence despite being governed by the worst government ever. I'm half Welsh and I understand this being ruled by England but you're not as we are British.
What would really be interesting would be a UK referendum to give Scotland, Wales and NI. I think that's Wales and NI way getting independence.

I’m not against independence, and I’m not particularly fond of the U.K. government, but I’m definitely sceptical of the independence argument.

Both the U.K. government and the Independence campaigns have flaws, and I remain unconvinced that the long term benefits would outweigh the short term costs enough to make such a major change worthwhile compared to the long term status quo (or my favoured option of some kind of “Devo-Max” arrangement).

I appear to be in the minority of left leaning indie-sceptics up here. It often feels like you’re an “independence-at-all-costs”-er or you’re a Tory. I’m hoping now that Scottish Labour have a competent leader that there might be some more scrutiny over the independence argument and we might actually get more answers about the practicalities.

Albania 2.8
Lithuania 2.7
North Macedonia 2
Slovenia 2
Latvia 1.8
Estonia 1.3

discounting those listed above that are tax havens I'd rather not be grouped in with that set of countries.

I would be quite happy if we did split up the nation.
If you apportioned the national debt equally per capita and the also split offshore assets proportionally - including North Sea oil and gas that was setup and subsidised by the uk govt and not Scotland and therefore each of the 4 nations should have a proportional ownership - the England would be financially much better off. Wales would be about equal to what they are now. Scotland would be crucified. NI would be bankrupt before it even began and would have to be absorbed by Rof Ireland.
Sod the Scottish. They can't have their cake and eat is just because of geographical considerations and benefit from all future tax revenues when the uk government set it all up.

If you apportioned the national debt equally per capita and the also split offshore assets proportionally - including North Sea oil and gas that was setup and subsidised by the uk govt and not Scotland and therefore each of the 4 nations should have a proportional ownership - the England would be financially much better off. Wales would be about equal to what they are now. Scotland would be crucified. NI would be bankrupt before it even began and would have to be absorbed by Rof Ireland.
Sod the Scottish. They can't have their cake and eat is just because of geographical considerations and benefit from all future tax revenues when the uk government set it all up.

Wow.

I'm half Welsh and I understand this being ruled by England but you're not as we are British.
It's a simple numbers thing. Vast majority of Westminster MPs are from England, therefore Any descision made by parliament is effectively made by England.
Personally I'd be happy with a fully federated union where each of the national assemblies would have the same powers (which would cover most things) and the UK government would only rule on things like defense and international relations.

I call “Little Englander Bingo”!

Back