What do you do with 40 pints of beer??!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a question! I am looking to possibly move from 1 gallon kit brewing to the standard 40 pint kits...but...I have no idea what I am going to do with the 45 bottles of beer I will produce every time! Don't get me wrong I do love a beer, but I only really drink at the weekends and then its generally a couple of bottles a night! At that rate it will take me nearly 3 months to finish a batch!

How often do you brew? Do you not get bored with drinking the same beer? Maybe I am over thinking it!

Some ideas of what to do with excess beer would be appreciated!

PS. I guess I could give it to friends and store a few for Xmas etc but it still seems like a lot of ale for one man!!
you can cook with beer and use it in bread instead of water. I would just brew 10-15% shorter for a stronger beer. and store the rest.

Like me you could start making wine, it improves for sitting in bottles for years.... so I've been told but have yet to find out.

I’m new to brewing also. I’m currently brewing a 40 pint kit. When it’s done I’ll just leave it on the shelf in the ‘outhouse’ it’s cool enough out there all year. When I get close to finishing them I’ll start another.

Like me you could start making wine, it improves for sitting in bottles for years.... so I've been told but have yet to find out.

Tell me about it!! I brewed 15 bottles thinking I could keep some in a shelf. Nope!! Wifey says they taste great and so there’s none left. I’ve currently got about 75 more litres on the go. That’ll keep her happy for another few days 🤫

DSC02421.JPG

Two 60 litre FVs 50 litres of beer in each. One contains 5 cans of Brewferm IPA, dry hopped with Fuggles/Goldings. Further one 3 Mangrove Jacks Australian Pale with 2.5KG LME, the kit hops and some extra Cascade.

25Kg IPA kit in background will be going on soon but I need some pale beer for the summer first. Maybe some Pilsners?

I give lots away! Out of each batch I bottle half and barrel half normally. The bottles usually get given away.

Gosh. I wish I lived next door to you. 👍

One hopes the bottles are returned.
I live in france, the land of bottled water so there is a lot of empty badoit, perrier etc bottles around just waiting to be reused. Beer looks great in a coloured Badoit bottle especially the red ones.

Tell me about it!! I brewed 15 bottles thinking I could keep some in a shelf. Nope!! Wifey says they taste great and so there’s none left. I’ve currently got about 75 more litres on the go. That’ll keep her happy for another few days 🤫

If you need to make wine quick that can be drunk when new or aged have a look at this - How to make Supermarket Juice Wine - HERE.

Is it just me! My wife and I both love my homebrew and since lockdown is still biting in rural Wales and there's no sign of any pubs opening this side of Xmas I find that 40 pints last about 10 days at most! I am brewing constantly and enjoying it immensely. I have also saved by my reckoning over £1000 I would have handed over the bar for inferior beer. It's also amazing that friends have chosen me as the bubble they are permitted to visit. 3 bottles of my last brew to go and 41 bottles carbonating as we speak! And I have all the ingredients ready for a Theakstons Old Peculier ready to go! Lockdown? Bring it on

Buy good quality kits, bottle it, (i use PFTE 2 ltr bottles plus several beer bottles)- It will keep at least a year - found a bottle over 3 yrs old and it was glorious. Better to have a few on standby than running out

I've always brewed 23 ltr / 5 gallon at a time, just started up again after a break (I'd finally run out of 'stock')

First batch the usual full brew, but getting a bit ancient these days and finding lifting and carting that amount of stuff around not as easy as it used to be!

Made the decision to make smaller batches (can be a bit of a slow learner at times!) Yesterday did my first 10 litre AG batch, the recipe scaled down easily and the brewday went very smoothly and quicker, half measures boil up and chill down a lot quicker!

Thinking I might just head towards 12 or 15 litres though, but that's only because my boiler is 40 litre and the wort looked a bit lost ! I think if this boiler ever packs in I'll buy/build a smaller one and stick to 'half measures'.

The beers that came out really nice go quickly in my house. The meh ones seem to sit on the shelf, hoping each time that aging has helped it. Usually it has, but sometimes it becomes a ‘you drink that one’, ’no, you drink it’.... which eventually means it becomes a beer for the slug traps.

Thirty years ago when I got started I always did 19 liter batches because, well, that's just the way it was done. After a break from brewing I found 12 liters made a easier brew day, I had more variety on hand and, I got to brew more often.

12 liters of something a little off is a lot easier to drink than 19 liters of the same.

Back