What do you ferment in?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do people safely and comfortably lift FVs with liquids inside which weigh more than say 30 kg. Although I am not a '7 stone weakling' I would not want to go above about 25kg.
I keep my BrewDevil on the floor. I used to struggle when I had it at worktop height but it’s a doddle now I have it on the floor.

I’m fairy young and fit(ish), and a regular gym goer, so I’m obviously going to manage better than a relatively inactive 50-or-60-something home brewer (in general, I’m not automatically assuming you’re older or anything)

I’ve a Red Ale that I’m going to add Sherried Oak too for 5x days in a secondary for Flavour.
the only thing that was missing was a scale so I added mr own 5L markers

Attachments

• 62CD236F-1B69-4A76-944B-98E72474430E.jpeg
    62CD236F-1B69-4A76-944B-98E72474430E.jpeg
    19.6 KB · Views: 52
I’ve a Red Ale that I’m going to add Sherried Oak too for 5x days in a secondary for Flavour.
the only thing that was missing was a scale so I added mr own 5L markers
As you can see there’s a good 10L headroom

IMG_1308.JPG

In the early fifties, when my Dad started brewing beer, the only vessel considered suitable to ferment in was a glazed earthenware bread crock, such as this. We had one that my mum used to store eggs, painted with waterglass, in during the war. Anything made of metal was considered unsuitable, and plastics and affordable stainless steel had yet to appear.

They became highly prized, and as Dad was very possessive of his, I was lucky to find another in a second-hand shop when I decided to start brewing during my National Service years in the Royal Air Force in 1957/8, and I used it until those food-grade plastic bins appeared in Boots in the sixties.

I just thought I’d throw this tit-bit in as a bit of history.

Back