What does 0.995 final gravity means ? Does it means there is no more sugar in the liquid ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew_ysk

Reaction score
I just measured the "grape wine", because it is bubling very slowly now.
FG=0.995 final gravity means ? Does it means there is no more sugar in the liquid ?
I know when FG is smaller than 1.000, it means there is alcohol in it, hence it is lighter than water which is 1.000SG.
I have previously did a calculation ( 14%ABV is my goal), i can still add 185g of sugar into it to reach 14%ABV.

I question is does 0.995SG means there is no more or very low sugar in the wine ?
If it is very low sugar in it, then, i can add more sugar to it (i don't want to add more sugar when there is still sugar in it, doing staggered feeding of sugar ).

Note:
I did have OG measured, but it is not my interest to calculate ABV in this thread. Just want to know does 0.995sg means the liquid is no more sugar ?

Not likely to be very much left, the ABV is worth knowing because if it's greater than the yeasts tolerance or near it adding more sugar it may not ferment it.
But you don't need to wait for all sugar to be used up if you are going to add some more sugar. Otherwise you could only drip feed sugar from the off.
The yeast starts to shut down as they run out of food. So it's better to keep the engine running than restart it.

All wine kits I have made suggest it's finished fermenting at .995 - .990 the latter being dry, my take on it is by then most of sugar has gone and the alcohol is so high it kills the yeast.

Not likely to be very much left, the ABV is worth knowing because if it's greater than the yeasts tolerance or near it adding more sugar it may not ferment it.
But you don't need to wait for all sugar to be used up if you are going to add some more sugar. Otherwise you could only drip feed sugar from the off.
The yeast starts to shut down as they run out of food. So it's better to keep the engine running than restart it.
Ya, the yeast is super fast, chew up 100g of sugar in 1 night.. unbelievable.
what does " drip feed sugar from the off." mean ?

As a yougster i always felt sorry for the yeast,Working hard and then dying seemed a bit cruel.
I have got over it now.:beer1:,

Drip feeding sugar is a way of getting yeast to produce more alcohol,Which is a waste product that stresses yeast as much as high sugar levels do.
This method of getting to high alcohol levels is well known in winemaking circles

As a yougster i always felt sorry for the yeast,Working hard and then dying seemed a bit cruel.
I have got over it now.:beer1:,

Drip feeding sugar is a way of getting yeast to produce more alcohol,Which is a waste product that stresses yeast as much as high sugar levels do.
This method of getting to high alcohol levels is well known in winemaking circles
I see, it is the same concept as staggered sugar feeding.. it feed sugar to the yeast slowly, so won't "explode" yeast cell due to too much sugar at once.

I just kind of not able to believe 2.8liter of grape "new wine" consumed 100g of sugar in one night.. do you think that is super yeast ? lol

100g of sugar in nearly 3ltrs of "wine" is not even a wee snack for yeast,Any yeast.!!!

A Kg of sugar in the same amount of wine,Now thats yeast eating. 😁

I have seen your raisin wine thread. athumb..
Huh ? Were you refering to my raisin wine thread ? old thread ?
Man, i have become so forgetful lately... most probably due to early aging:?:.. sometime i try to console myself it is due to corona virus..
A few months ago, i suddenly felt that i no not sensitive to laundry detergent smell (which i was very strongly against, because i hate that overpowering smell), lost taste bud... forgetful... it is just like a partial sympton of covid .....

No its one that Stevieboy is hoping to be ready for Christmass.

I hope you have not got covid.Its not something i would wish on anyone.
Up here in the Scottish Highlands I dont know anybody that has had it,But looking at the news for my old home town it seems thousands have been affected and many have died.!!!

What's always confused me with SG is, All the sugar is supposedly gone when the gravity hits 1.000, yet when the gravity goes under 1.000 the ABV keeps going up. How is this possible JCR? As I understand it, when it gets below 1.000, the yeast are eating other compounds in the wine but can't be eating sugar as there's none left. It's all a mystery to me lol 😁

Hi Lisa,
SG 1.000 is the gravity of pure water
About 0.800 is the gravity of alcohol (top of head not exact)

So a mixture of the two will be someware in between.

Wines can get down to these lower figures,Beers not so much due to lower alcohol and residual unfermentable sugars
A dry wine of about 12-14% can be as low as 0.900

The thing to remember about Hydrometers is that they are not alcohol measurers - they are liquid density measuring tools - the denser the liquid, the higher the H will sit in the water - it is being pushed out of the water by the heavy liquid, the less dense (in our case by "watering" down the water with alcohol), the lower it will sit.

Back