What does volumes of co2 2.4 mean?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I've brewed a Bells two hearted ale and I'm ready to bottle. The recipe says volume of co2 2.4..how do i get the right amount? I don't want it to be too fizzy or too flat. I'm using dextrose and using 500ml bottles. Thanks in advance. Cheers.

2.4 volumes is the amount of CO2 dissolved in your beer. So if the container is 500ml then it's 2.4 X 500 ml of CO2. For example Coca Cola has 4 volumes of CO2.

Hi, I've brewed a Bells two hearted ale and I'm ready to bottle. The recipe says volume of co2 2.4..how do i get the right amount? I don't want it to be too fizzy or too flat. I'm using dextrose and using 500ml bottles. Thanks in advance. Cheers.
2.4 vols is basically the amount of carbonation.

You can use online tools to tell you how much sugar you should use to prime to get that carbonation. ( Beer Priming Calculator | Brewer's Friend )

But assuming you've fermented at 20c and have 23 litres of beer to package. You'd need to prime with 115g of brewer's sugar to get that level of carbonation.

Batch priming is probably the way to go.

Thanks for your replys. Does that seem right then for 21 litres. 142g dextrose? Have I understood that right? Cheers.
Screenshot_20210621-202651_Samsung Internet.jpg

It's not easy to picture what effect 2 litres of CO2 in a litre of beer means by itself, but if you look at what volumes of CO2 the various styles have by comparison then it makes a bit more sense.

Unusual to see carbonation as part of recipe. Nice touch as it's a really important part of a recipe. Never understood why it isn't standard.

It's not easy to picture what effect 2 litres of CO2 in a litre of beer means by itself, but if you look at what volumes of CO2 the various styles have by comparison then it makes a bit more sense.
I've just looked at a chart with the different beers with the co2 volume. Yes it does help to see. Cheers.

Back