What else do I need to buy for a fermenter king gen3 starter kit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blinky

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy this Fermenter King Gen 3 Starter Kit the fermenter king gen 3 starter kit. It says it comes with everything but I'm not sure it does.... I'm just totally confused with it as I've never done any pressure fermenting or anything with CO2 bottles, so I'm looking for some advice here.
If I buy this kit, out the box can I pressure ferment with no extra kit? If so, how do I transfer to bottles? Surely even though there will be pressure, as I transfer out, the pressure will lower and I will need to add CO2 to increase it again to transfer?
Ideally I want to serve straight from the fermenter, I'm not looking to turn my fridge into a kegerator so I see there is a tap I can fit on top that would work. Again though, I think I need to add CO2? So what do I need for the CO2 side of things.... can I use the little sparkler bottles somehow? Do I need something called a sounding valve? Any help would be great!

You would need to buy the disconects for both gas and liquid posts.
https://brew2bottle.co.uk/products/keg-accessories?variant=18630907265139
Also a spunding valve to regulate the pressure in the fv, there are a few types and probably a bit cheaper if you look around.
https://brew2bottle.co.uk/collections/fermenter-king-accessories/products/keg-king-spunding-valve
You are right, you will need a co2 supply to move the beer in to kegs or bottles, the small sparkler bottles won't be up to the job, you would get through far to many.

As for serving from the fv, i am sure you can, i personally like to get the beer off the trub/hops as soon as possible.

Sorry can't help you with bottling from the fv as mine goes into kegs, im sure some one will help though.

If I was going to serve from the vessel, I assume I still need proper CO2 Bottles? Where do you buy them from? Also do I not need a pressure gauge on the CO2 bottle so it stops pumping in CO2?

Last edited:
This is getting more and more expensive! Feel it's a bit of a con to sell this as everything you need, I thought 8 would need gas but by the time you add everything else, it's pretty much doubles the price of it, or am I missing something?

The fv does come with pretty much every thing.You could always add a prv valve either 10 or 15spi for £3.25 to do away with a spunding valve, if you are ok with them 2 pressure settings.

Kegs, co2 bottles etc etc are not included sadly ☹

So prv valve sounds good, I then need a tap and a CO2 bottle and I'm good to go? If I put say the 10psi valve in, can I ferment under that pressure and will it then carbonate off of that gas? Or do I need a CO2 canister with a pressure valve/gauge and a 10psi prv, would that work?

Yes the whole pressure fermenting thing seems a money pit, if it had a tap that Was fitted where the collection vessel is removed then you could at least serve from the vessel. Like we do from barrels. Yes towards the end of the 40 pints you may need gas but only a stubb.

Belive me, you will need gas after a couple of pints if you are lucky.A constant feed of co2 while doing a closed transfer, same thing as when you would serve from fv.

Last edited:
Now looking at a fermzilla, seems to be cheaper but is it as good?
The kegking fermenters usually come more complete than the fermzilla's at a lower cost. Fermzilla you usually have to buy the carbonation caps plus floating dip tube to make it a pressurised fermenter.

I have 2 x all-rounders but I had been considering the fermenter king chubby but they were out of stock at the time so got a second all-rounder.

I have a 30lt Allrounder and a 30lt chubby ,both have their pros and cons . Though the chubby is cheaper especially if you buy the prv ,I only use the 10psi on my chubby.
Big plus for the chubby it fits in my Fridge . Big plus for Allrounder it is easier to clean

I have a 30lt Allrounder and a 30lt chubby ,both have their pros and cons . Though the chubby is cheaper especially if you buy the prv ,I only use the 10psi on my chubby.
Big plus for the chubby it fits in my Fridge . Big plus for Allrounder it is easier to clean
That's the only reservation I have on the fermenter king compared to all- rounder, I like being able to clean the inside easily on the all-rounder.

I use a drill with a long wooden dowel and a cloth attached basically the same as a keg cleaner with PBW or similiar. Of the 2 I prefer the chubby .Basically as it is easier to move as you dont need a stand and the lid seems to come off better . The chubby is a more complete package if you add a prv.
Though I have the same results both make good beer.
Not surs when but their is a new fermenter The Apollo due that does look good

Back