What got you in to homebrew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martybhoy

Reaction score
My first taste of homebrew was at a party about 10 years ago. Scotch ale from a king keg. I was pretty impressed (not sure what I'd make of it these days though). I got the basic kit for Christmas and made 2 very poor brews. I tried a wine kit, which was worse. I even gave some of the wine to my work colleagues (god they were polite about it, considering how awful it was) and so I gave up.

About 5 years ago I discovered IPA (Goose Island) and Belgian Beer (Affligem), basically fell in love with beer, and decided to give homebrew another try. I started with Young's and Brewferm kits, about 12 brews. Then, thanks to Clibits well known post regarding all grain, I'm 35 brews down that path, and think it's one of the best hobbies there is (assuming you like beer).

How did other people get in to homebrew?

The price of not-homebrew, which is silly really because then I got hooked, it turned into a hobby, and I had to start buying stuff.

A bit to do with cost of beer (just as well it was only a 'bit' given the amount I've spent on homebrew!), but more about self- sufficiency and creativity. I love fishing for the pot, growing my own fruit and veg and foraging. I also love cooking and experimenting with flavours. Home-brewing brings all of that together beautifully for me.

I have an ambition to keep chickens, but not quite ready for that yet!

Went to a BBQ and had homebrew. Decided to start making my own, firstly for better beer and secondly to save money when I retire in a couple of years.
I now have a Braumeister 20, 12 cornies, Blichmann beer gun and Therminator.
14 gall SS Chronical, SS brewbucket. Larder fridge, undercounter fridge, keezer and a worktop freezer for hops. Oh and then there was the new shed to house it all, plus numerous small items.
Saving me an absolute fortune?????????? Or that's what my wife thinks.
Another two years and I should be at break even point.
And I'm enjoying drinking and making good beer.

1984 miners strike. No money fantastic holiday but **** holiday pay so only way to afford beer was the dreaded boots homebrew kits

Being ill and bedridden on holiday in Spain earlier this year. I'd been thinking about homebrewing and had 2 full days to stare at my phone and watch video after video on brewing, and read loads of blogs and research kits etc. By the time I'd got home I'd ordered two books of recipes and knew what kit I was going to start with. Within 2 weeks I'd brewed my first.
Haven't looked back!

The rising cost of beer in general plus I had been on about it for years and decided to get on with it.
I bought a wherry start up kit,all went well,went a year or so making kits then went AG.
It's a great hobby but there's so much to brew but so little time!

I like to cook, and brewing was the only thing I hadn't done yet in our kitchen.

I wanted actually to start earlier, but I had no idea where to start, and I didn't want to shell out money for 20 liter equipment, because I found that was too much beer. Then I found a small kit for 3 liter (4x0.75l bottles, + extract+yeast+fermentation/bottling bucket) and started reading what was brewing all about, mashed in a cooking pot, sparged in a sieve, used the above material to ferment and bottle, and my first brew was ready.

Went shopping with the missus in 2017, had to wait for what it seemed hours for something she was busy with. And saw the display with Brooklyn Brewery kits. The rest was history, as they say.
Although the missus says it was a year earlier. My log says something different.

I like to cook, and brewing was the only thing I hadn't done yet in our kitchen.

I wanted actually to start earlier, but I had no idea where to start, and I didn't want to shell out money for 20 liter equipment, because I found that was too much beer. Then I found a small kit for 3 liter (4x0.75l bottles, + extract+yeast+fermentation/bottling bucket) and started reading what was brewing all about, mashed in a cooking pot, sparged in a sieve, used the above material to ferment and bottle, and my first brew was ready.
I'd hate to think what other things you'd done on the kitchen table. I know I had.

Christmas 2016 my wife bought me a one day brewing course as a present. I tried the old boots kits 25 years ago but the one I made was awful so had no intention of trying again. At the brew course there were several brews to try from kits to all grain. I couldn't believe how good some of these beers were. I got totally hooked in one day and haven't looked back. I certainly haven't saved money yet though. So far I have brewed about 320L but have spent about £2,000 on equipment. I think I am pretty much done with the kit now though.

I had a brief dalliance with Boots home brew kits as a student in the 1980's, as I remember it was mostly terrible. I was tempted to start again 5 or 6 years ago when a home brew shop opened in town, but it wasn't until after that had closed that I was in The Range, saw the kits and equipment and thought 'What could possibly go wrong?'

From there I just wanted to know more and more, like many I used Clibit's simple AG introduction, it's a pity for whatever reason, he is no longer active on the forum. Started by being very experimental and 'out there', now just trying to get simple beers spot on.

For me I think someone give me a brewing book in 2007....and a ash tray with my name on it.... Matthew Brown Brewery was a huge concern for many in Blackburn and sold out for 94 million.

I started brewing wine as a student in 1983. Someone bought me a beer brewing kit from Boots a year or 2 later. I brewed a few kits until 1990 when I started to brew with extract and hops. I didn't brew many beers until around 2010 when I decided to brew more often. I converted to AG in 2013 and am basically self sufficient in beer. I think I'm up to number 126 in AG.
What I want to know is, who drank all that?

My dad brewed, I brewed as a teen, then during the last recession I started again cos I was skint. Picked it up again after a year or so off as I missed doing it. I do all grain now, but with minimal kit; Burco boiler, cool box mash tun, immersion chiller and my king kegs and stuff from brewing kits.

It’s sort of the perfect hobby for me really and it’s a wonder I didn’t start sooner. I love good beer and like cooking and science.

I bought a starter kit for my parents a few years ago and my dad did it really carefully and well and the beer tasted good, so I thought I’d give it a go myself.

I decided to start when I was off on my first six month period of parental leave, in reality I didn’t do much brewing with the baby around but enough to get the bug. I’m still experimenting and finding my best setup after 22 AG brews, it’s a great journey.

Latest posts

Back