What have you been cooking in your air fryer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got myself a new air fryer today. Thought it would be fun to swap ideas and show each other what we've made.

I've made this for my normally snaffling horse of a son, but he couldn't manage it all :D

I thought I'd start simple, so I made chips with a tuna melt sandwich. Tuna mayo, cheese, shallots and fresh tomatoes. I ate his leftovers like a good mummy and that was my tea. It was ugly but tasted so good!clapa

C828518D-A963-43EF-B710-0F7289BB4923.jpeg
EC6C5569-9D1E-46A2-AF6B-937DB0EE934A.jpeg
62241644-F30A-4F57-85DB-CFF51642E497.jpeg
ECEBA141-D677-493F-B0DA-73E301EED090.jpeg
5721ABEB-A79C-4C12-8E4B-A1E6DA564818.jpeg

Last edited:
Getting so tempted by these.....

So if you want to make some chips, which lets face it is what anyone wants a fryer for, you can hand cut some spuds spay them with a bit of oil, insert in air fryer and hey presto - proper chips?

Are they comparable to chips from a deep fryer? Better than oven chips? That's the only option I have at the moment and I only use McCain Home Chips as pretty much any other oven chips are poor in comparison.

Anyway, great idea for a thread, be interesting to see what else they can do 👍

Anyway, great idea for a thread, be interesting to see what else they can do
I only do fries in ours, as other stuff this weeks line up is a chicken crown, pork ribs, belly pork, pork cops, steaks, and various veggie's in the other one that pressure cooks, they do pretty much every thing depending on which one you have

If the chips already contain oil they don't need any otherwise it is just spray with some oil (the chips shouldn't be too wet or the oil tends not to stick properly). They make awesome ham and cheese toasties. 🙂. Toast comes out uber crispy I prefer it to using the toaster, no oil needed I have a tefal easy fry and grill with touch panel. The only thing we used to deep fry was chips. we'd oven bake other food like coasted chicken pieces.

We have a double gas oven so it's probably cheaper to use the small gas oven rather than the air fryer, but if you have a large electric oven and you buy a smaller airfryer you'll be heating up less space. I suspect if you have a fan assisted 'leccy oven that would give a similar result. Ham and bacon also cook well in it.

Getting so tempted by these.....

So if you want to make some chips, which lets face it is what anyone wants a fryer for, you can hand cut some spuds spay them with a bit of oil, insert in air fryer and hey presto - proper chips?

Are they comparable to chips from a deep fryer? Better than oven chips? That's the only option I have at the moment and I only use McCain Home Chips as pretty much any other oven chips are poor in comparison.

Anyway, great idea for a thread, be interesting to see what else they can do 👍

I would say better than oven chips, but not quite as good as a deep fryer.

If you want them really crispy (hand cut chips), I would rinse them until the water runs clear, then soak then in hot tap water for 30 mins. A tip I picked up from YouTube. Dry them really well, spray with oil & generous seasoning of salt, then cook to your liking in the air fryer. I think the more oil you put on the nicer they are. The book says to use between 1-3 tbsp. I tend to keep checking them and if they've dried out, put a bit more oil on.

The ones I made yesterday were bang on - they cooked really evenly and I put that down to the quality of the machine. I wouldn't recommend any of the cheaper / cheapest models as you might not get the same results.

I think Aldi or Asda's homestyle frozen chips are better than McCain. :D

They will do anything your grill or oven can do. You can bake, air fry, roast, even dehydrate fruits and meat to make jerky. We won't use the grill or oven at all now we have this, just the hob.

This You Tube channel is the actual sh!t!

https://www.youtube.com/c/fabulesslyfrugal

Last edited:
For a decent chip just add a bit more oil than normal. 5 table spoons for a family portion. Don't bother with the spray. Just poor over the chips

Back