What have you been smoking on bbq?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alistair, please post some photos next time. Of the food! Where did you buy your Komado? Was it pricey?

Last edited:
Chanced 3 of the naan breads I made on the barbeque because I wasn't sure it would work but they were fantastic. Look at the puff on the one on the right, and that had dropped a bit by the time I took the picture. I think I'd even risk the cheese stuffed ones on there next time.

They got laced with garlic butter afterwards. I'm now in real meat pain and torpor.

20190820_185535.jpg

Thanks. I spent £900 on a real Italian-made wood-fired pizza oven, so I won't be copying you. But I want a cheaper Kamado as my Chinese barbeque is falling apart and not good for smoking.

Thanks. I spent £900 on a real Italian-made wood-fired pizza oven, so I won't be copying you. But I want a cheaper Kamado as my Chinese barbeque is falling apart and not good for smoking.
I like the sound of your pizza oven. Unfortunately, I’ve blown my brew-grill budget for a good while yet.

First run at a 'proper' BBQ this year. Top side from a colleague's hobby farm, 2 hour smoke on the Monolith Kamado until internal temp hit 55C, then reverse seared on the Weber kettle at 250C, rested 30 mins then carved.

Charcoal is the BBQ'ers equivalent of yeast. This cook was done using Oxford Charcoal Co's Sweet Chestnut, which was fantastic. Worked well at both low 'n' slow on the Monolith and the fast and furious on the Weber. Gave a light sweet smoked aroma to the meat that translated into a rich but balanced flavour on the palate. Similar to mesquite in terms of depth and character.

Thoroughly enjoyed cooking while polishing off a couple of the German Pils I brewed over Christmas specifically for consumption while BBQ-ing this spring!

IMG_1222.jpeg

Funnily enough, I ordered 6 bags of charcoal yesterday. Hoping they will still arrive tomorrow.

I did half little gems lettuces on the bbq lastnight, grilled them till charred then topped with feta, chilli, oil and lemon juice. Also mushrooms brushed with garlic oil. Hard to believe there was also a rib eye steak in the mix that I'm not fussed for discussing. The vegetables were the star yesterday for a change.

Amd can someone fill me in with a review of the pro Q smoker. Seriously tempted to buy one.

What kit you using?

Hi Brewnaldo, I have me the basic Weber 54cm as the wife would not let me buy the wider/higher fancier one.

So I've been mining YouTube for ideas. Yanks tend to do miracles with Webers.

My next project is to try cold smoking but I would need more gear.

20170617_154618.jpg

Latest posts

Back