What have you been smoking on bbq?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've struggled a lot with brisket. One issue is UK beef is grass fed, not corn fed like USDA beef, the fat contents and marbling are very different. Also, any of my local butchers portion up the Flat (Pec major) only. The Cap (Pec minor) is left on the beef ribs from the same cut and you're left trying to cook a very different type of meat than you'll see on US based Food Network programs or YouTube videos. Early attempts long low smokes (18hrs at 80-90C) resulted in an inedible leathery charred mass.

What I do now is this.
  • Rub well with either Hard Core Carnivore Black rub which is delicious, or just a simple mix of salt, coarse ground black pepper and hot chilli powder if I'm making my own.
  • Roll and tie the brisket, set the kamado up for an indirect cook and heat up to 80-90C.
  • Put the brisket on a couple of layers of turkey foil in an oven dish and put a second oven dish full of hot water underneath on the deflector plates to maintain humidity. Add soaked mesquite chips 2-3 times during the first 2 hrs before the outer part of the meat becomes cooked and stops taking on smoke.
  • After 2-3 hours the internal temp of the brisket should reach 75C, I then use the turkey foil to crutch it and leave for a total of cooking time of around 8 hours.
  • Hopefully by now the meat is soft and spongy when poked and not like a wellington boot. Take the foil off, open up the vents and give it a 45 minute blast at whatever temp the kamado gets up to, usually 250C, to get a crisp bark on the outside.
  • Rest for 20 minutes before pulling.
  • The juices in the oven dish are reduced to make a BBQ sauce with random amounts of soy sauce, tomato ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, white wine vinegar, salt and pepper. I don't have a recipe for this, its a chuck it all in and keep tasting affair.
You've put me in the mood to give this another go! If i do one at the weekend I'll report back with the outcome.

Last edited:
Got a kilo of brisket on now. Think the smoker temperature is still coming up but I fear I am running into the same issues as last time maybe with it struggling to get hot enough. I got good results last time nevertheless but I might have some more work to do learning the temp control side.

This time was a full chimney of lunpwood into the basket then topped up to full with unlit lumpwood. Vents are all open. Water pan filled with boiling water. Not sure what else I can do.... It is hovering about 90 on the smokers thermometer and it did seem to read a bit low last time out. It might be about where it needs to be but what I need is a 2 or 3 probe thermometer so I can monitor meat and smoker temps together.

Stop worrying!

The true temperature is what it gets up to on the inside of the meat and the rest is inconsequential. As the water in the water bath evaporates the internal temperature will rise. At that stage it will be time to start crimping in on the air entering the bottom to slow down the cooking process.

Smoking ia a long-time process so let it take the time to cook the interior of the meat. I often leave things like brisket on for over 6 hours and during that time the temperature often requires dropping; and the charcoal/wood requires replenishing.

Here's a decent read ...

https://www.thespruceeats.com/smoking-meat-low-and-slow-331486
"Low and Slow" is a great motto to have for smoking! You will have plenty of time to read it whilst waiting for the brisket to smoke!

Enjoy!

Inspired by Brewnaldo, this has been on the go all day. Smells and tastes delicious, but isn’t pulling yet. There should be charcoal for another 4 or 5 hours cooking, but might be finishing off in the oven.
A101C9E6-C455-4B81-B8CD-89507CFDD54E.jpeg
CE49306B-06B1-4E87-8B99-F2B906E1605A.jpeg

Inspired by Brewnaldo, this has been on the go all day. Smells and tastes delicious, but isn’t pulling yet. There should be charcoal for another 4 or 5 hours cooking, but might be finishing off in the oven.
View attachment 28833View attachment 28834
What weight was that? Mine was 2.5 lbs and basically was the texture of a roast beef but a bit dry. Tasted good. Inran put of time though and thinking back probably didnt get past the stall tbh. 72 degree internal temp when I took it off. Had almost no fat marbling though fondant see how linger cooking could have afforded it any more moisture. Nevertheless I shall keep on going

1.5 kg, or around 3lbs in old money. Mine stalled at 67, then crept up to mid 80s where it’s been sitting for the last 4 hrs. I think it just needs a bit more time, I’ve done brisket in the sous vide for 36 hours before, albeit at a lower temperature.

1.5 kg, or around 3lbs in old money. Mine stalled at 67, then crept up to mid 80s where it’s been sitting for the last 4 hrs. I think it just needs a bit more time, I’ve done brisket in the sous vide for 36 hours before, albeit at a lower temperature.
I am just getting used to the kit but already dont trust the thermometer on my pro q. It basically never hits 100c in the smoker regardless what I do with the vents. I suspect that I sinply underestimated the time it would take based on what was wrote in the wee book that came with it. Even with a water pan I dont believe the smoker temp is away down at 90 degrees.

I guess learning about the way meat behaves is as important and how the smoker behaves.

I am just getting used to the kit but already dont trust the thermometer on my pro q.

I use two probes, the red one is in the brisket and the orange gives me the temp in the kamado. The Monoliths temp dial is never that far off, but the other probe is more responsive to small changes and both temps Bluetooth to my phone.

I guess learning about the way meat behaves is as important and how the smoker behaves.

Brisket is difficult, once you nail this you’ve landed!

I use two probes, the red one is in the brisket and the orange gives me the temp in the kamado. The Monoliths temp dial is never that far off, but the other probe is more responsive to small changes and both temps Bluetooth to my phone.

Brisket is difficult, once you nail this you’ve landed!
Yeah just like with the brewing I am generally too hard on myself for any errors made as I expect great things straight away. I do need to invest in a multiple probe thermometer. Def going on the birthday list

I’ve called time on this one. Pulling nicely, tastes great but it’s drier than I wanted. Needs a quick blast in the oven tomorrow and a good sauce.
And Hard Core Carnivore has to be the best shop bought rub, it’s fantastic.

6056F4A6-F3A2-4237-86CA-C2819FF4366C.jpeg

I’ve called time on this one. Pulling nicely, tastes great but it’s drier than I wanted. Needs a quick blast in the oven tomorrow and a good sauce.
And Hard Core Carnivore has to be the best shop bought rub, it’s fantastic.

View attachment 28846

A question who doesn't smoke but looking into it. Why go to the trouble of adding s rub and smoking for hours to then cover the meat in a sauce?

A question who doesn't smoke but looking into it. Why go to the trouble of adding s rub and smoking for hours to then cover the meat in a sauce?
The rub seasons the meat and creates the bark.

The smoke flavour will come through any sauce. Really compliments a good bbq sauce and I am sure many others

I am just getting used to the kit but already dont trust the thermometer on my pro q. It basically never hits 100c in the smoker regardless what I do with the vents. ..........

It will probably be working okay! With regard to the vents:
  • The Top one should be wide open all the time that you are smoking.
  • The Bottom Three should be adjusted so that:
    • Wide Open = More heat required.
    • 90% to 10% = Adjustable range.
    • Closed = Shutting down smoker. (At this stage the Top vent can also be closed until the remaining charcoal is cold. At this stage, I open up the vents to ensure that the ProQ is aired and doesn't go rusty inside.)
I suggest that you try three "Beer Can Chickens" in the top of the ProQ as per the following:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/smoked-beer-in-the-butt-chicken-334217
Personally, I put a circle of aluminium foil in the top tray with about a 2.5cm gap around the edge. There is no need for much water in the Water Bath because the moisture is kept in the chicken with the beer in the cans. I do three medium chickens at a time.

It's a simple recipe that doesn't need very much liquid in the Water Bath and it will show you how to regulate the temperature inside the ProQ.

For Brisket and Pork Joints I use one of these to inject liquid (usually apple juice based) into the meat:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EXTSUD-Inj...ywords=cooking+syringe&qid=1594074339&sr=8-10
Again, there is no need to fill the Water Bath to the brim. It can be topped up as and when desired.

BTW, I also line the Water Bath with aluminium foil before filling it with boiling water. It stops the accumulation of burned on fat when the water has evaporated and makes it much easier to clean the ProQ.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Oh no there is nowt wrong with that. Its the one thing i like about my ProQ is that i can cold and hot smoke. Awesome skills.
The wife was having to prevent me from smoking the entire contents of the fridge 😂

There was some dust still burning when I took it off so I launched some mushrooms and garlic in too. Got a solid 8 or 9 hours of smoke out of that today delighted after being unable to keep it lit last time.

The wife was having to prevent me from smoking the entire contents of the fridge 😂

There was some dust still burning when I took it off so I launched some mushrooms and garlic in too. Got a solid 8 or 9 hours of smoke out of that today delighted after being unable to keep it lit last time.
Do you use the standard square cold smoker dust holder or do you use something else?

.... garlic in too.

I know that feeling - also know the objections that can be made by SWMBO!

Garlic is a superb vegetable to smoke! After smoking, it can be used as normal, but the smoked version gives that added bit of flavour to many potentially bland things such as a salad or even fried tomatoes!

Enjoy!

Breakfast Recipe from Iran (for 2 people)
Peel and slice a bulb of smoked garlic.
Chop up four large tomatoes.
Beat up two eggs in a jug.
Heat some olive oil in a frying pan (on a low heat).
Add the garlic and fry until golden brown.
Add the chopped tomatoes and stir until the juice is reduced by half.
Season with salt.
Use a dessert spoon to make a channel in the tomatoes and slowly pour the beaten eggs into the channel so that the eggs set into long thin strips.
When the eggs have been added, take the frying pan from the heat and let the mixture rest for five minutes.

Serve in a bowl with a bit of grated cheese on top. Eat with bread. (Best with Naan Bread but I have used crusty baguettes, Ryvita, Cream Cracker or even toast!)

Enjoy!

Back