What have you been smoking on bbq?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI Guys

Sorry I'm a little late to the party but wondered if i could reach out for a bit of help.

Im thinking of buying a pellet smoker.

I used to have a Traeger Pro 34, I was looking at replacing it with another Traeger but they are way too expensive.

I then found these guys stocking Pit Boss UK Products BBQ Smoker Experts | Best BBQ Smokers UK

After a lot of shopping round online I cant seem to find any at a better price. I'm adamant that i want another BBQ smoker as I'm now addicted to the low and slow style of cooking.

Couple of quick questions if i may:

How do the Pit Boss smokers compare to whats already on the market?

BBQ Smoker UK models seem to be few and far between is there a champion so to speak that everyone goes for?

Has anyone bought a BBQ smoker from Buff BBQ before & if so are they reputable?

Do pellet smokers deserve the bad rep they seem to be getting sometimes?

Apologies for the mountain of questions, but it's a large investment and want to make sure i buy right. My Traeger has lasted be 4 years and I'd like my next smoker to match that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Woodsmokeforum.uk has stacks of user advice on options including the latest weber models. Come join us?

I've got one of these babies ...

https://proqsmokers.co.uk/products/...MI4ryHhZSc7AIVV-DtCh13yAllEAQYAiABEgKHqvD_BwE
I can get three "beer can" chickens upright in the top section and a slab of brisket or pork in the middle section ... OR ...

... I can remove the centre piece and just do one or the other of the above ... OR ...

... I can just use the bottom as an ordinary BBQ ... OR ...

... I could Cold Smoke in it using a smoke generator. (I actually prefer using a different system.)

I've had the ProQ Ranger smoker for well over three years now. It works fine and is a lot cheaper than many other systems.

Either way, "Go for it!" and "Enjoy!"

20201108_181736.jpg

That's the problem with basic Weber kettles. Adding fuel if you need more than 3 hours smoking/cooking time can be a complex affair.

Good enough for chicken or baby back ribs (hmmm... baby back...🤤🤤🤤) but as soon as you go proper pig or beef chuck steak you need to keep that baby going for at least 6 hours on 150c...

Man, I joined this forum for beer but I can eat and talk food forever 🤣😅
Consider using using Tip Top temp regulator and putting briquettes in a stacked crescent moon shape and just putting lit coals at one end of that. I have had 16 hours from that method

I intend to smoke the Christmas turkey on the Pro Q. Probably a crown. Anyone done before and any tips?

Not smoked one yet but have just roasted a crown on BBQ a few times and came out fine. There are quite a few videos on line of turkey smoking usually from Americans around thanksgiving. A lot of them Brine the Turkey overnight or inject it with stock before smoking.

Just finished cold smoking some Scottish and wild Sock eye salmon for Xmas.
Plus got the bacon curing to cold Smoke that in the next few days. Very versatile the ProQ.

Attachments

• 4604BED9-6A1E-4227-9F5C-E4BC63919062.jpeg
    4604BED9-6A1E-4227-9F5C-E4BC63919062.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 5A6ECE2F-8FD5-47A8-8E97-58ED0757E504.jpeg
    5A6ECE2F-8FD5-47A8-8E97-58ED0757E504.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 161
Just finished cold smoking some Scottish and wild Sock eye salmon for Xmas.
Plus got the bacon curing to cold Smoke that in the next few days. Very versatile the ProQ.

About once a month I make Gravlax which can be cold smoked before curing.

For a typical "two fillets of Salmon" from Tesco or Lidl I use:
  • Three dessertspoonful of coarse salt.
  • Three dessertspoonful of Demerara sugar.
  • A bunch of Dill - finely chopped. (Dried Dill can be used but it's not as good.)
  • A capful of Whisky, Brandy or Rum.
  • Loads of Cling Film.
Method
  • Mix the salt and sugar together in a mug.
  • Lay a length of Cling Film out on a table.
  • Sprinkle a layer on the salt/sugar mixture on the Cling Film.
  • Sprinkle a layer of Dill on top of the mixture.
  • Lay the first of the two salmon fillets skin-side down on top.
  • Sprinkle the top of the first fillet with Dill then a layer of the mix then a layer of Dill.
  • Lay the second of the two salmon fillets of top of the Dill, skin-side up.
  • Sprinkle Dill on top of the fillet and then the remaining salt/sugar mix.
  • Start to wrap the two fillets in the Cling Film; adding the capful of spirits when It won't run out.
  • Wrap the fillets very tightly end-to-end and then side-to-side at least three times, tightening it up with each layer.
  • Place the wrapped fillets on a deep plate in the fridge and turn every 24 hours for at least three days.
  • After three or four days days, remove the Cling Film wrapping (*), rinse the salmon fillets (to remove excess salt and Dill) and pat dry with kitchen paper.
  • Slice the salmon very thinly (leaving the skin behind) and serve either cold with a salad or as a sandwich, or add the slices to a hot dish like Macaroni Cheese so that it cooks a little just before serving.
Enjoy!

(*) The salmon fillets will normally be sat in a sweetened brine and feel hard to the touch due to the process.

Does cold smoking count?
I made a side of smoked salmon along with some cheddar and brie for Christmas
Probably deserving of it's own thread, if it doesnt have already but I cold smoked salmon for xmas, and also some garlic which I put into a homemade lemon and garlic mayonnaise. It was magic.

Probably deserving of it's own thread, if it doesnt have already but I cold smoked salmon for xmas, and also some garlic which I put into a homemade lemon and garlic mayonnaise. It was magic.
How long did you smoke the garlic for? I have done whole bulbs but was under impressed. ( about 6 hours) maybe i should have broken the bulb apart

How long did you smoke the garlic for? I have done whole bulbs but was under impressed. ( about 6 hours) maybe i should have broken the bulb apart

It was maybe about that. Hard to tell just how much smoke came across into the mayo. I roasted it after smoking. Peeling the cloves would make a difference I'd say but iv always thought garlic takes on a nice amount of cold smoke

Just picked up a weber 57cm kettle.

I want to give smoking a try, I have watched a few youtube videos, and the snake method seems popular. Is that a good place to start?

Just picked up a weber 57cm kettle.

I want to give smoking a try, I have watched a few youtube videos, and the snake method seems popular. Is that a good place to start?

It works well, but I found getting the briquettes started was the hard part. I ended up turning the chimney starter upside down so you're packing the briquettes into the small end. The wood chunks you put on early in the snake impart more smoke flavour than those further round as the meat has cooked on the outside and is developing its bark.

Latest posts

Back