What have you been smoking on bbq?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It works well, but I found getting the briquettes started was the hard part. I ended up turning the chimney starter upside down so you're packing the briquettes into the small end. The wood chunks you put on early in the snake impart more smoke flavour than those further round as the meat has cooked on the outside and is developing its bark.
Thanks for that. I have seen there are a few different methods for the kettle. I was unsure if getting the baskets, and using them to smoke would be slightly easier.

I have been looking for a inkbird or a thermopro thermometer, I think that might help me out.

Going to be a fair amount of trial and error. Think pork shoulder will be my starting point, its cheap and I presume the fat content makes it forgiving.

Having a barbecue on Saturday. Probably end up cooking various, but does anyone have a box office barbecue recipe? I need something different. Bit bored of big joints of pork or beef. Any level of complexity welcome. I like a challenge

Thanks for that. I have seen there are a few different methods for the kettle. I was unsure if getting the baskets, and using them to smoke would be slightly easier.

I have been looking for a inkbird or a thermopro thermometer, I think that might help me out.

Going to be a fair amount of trial and error. Think pork shoulder will be my starting point, its cheap and I presume the fat content makes it forgiving.

A meat thermometer is invaluable. Try to keep the grill temp around the 100-110C mark. The pork should stall around 72-74C, take it off snd double wrap in tinfoil (the Texas crutch). Put it back on, it will pull beautifully when the internal temp hits 90 but shouldn’t have dried out.

Smoked baby back ribs for Easter.
Wanna do a brisket, but can’t get the time.
If you doubt your technique- go here:
Amazingribs.com
Scientific approach to recipes and techniques- never had a failure, and the book will make you a champ, on your 1st try.
(I have no connection or interest in the site or it’s book- I just like it when people up their game!)

It's been a while since I've smoked anything so no product pics.
In the past I've used one of these for (hot) smoking trout, sausage or cheese. The cheese I use is 1cm slices of Dutch Edam on a tinfoil plate.
dam8560000_main_or_1.jpg.jpeg.jpg

This uses beech sawdust for the smoke and white spirit for the 2 burners. It's about €50,- from a tackle shop and every part fits inside the tin for easy storage.

Last year I've smoked brisket on an open bbq under a cloche. For the smoke I use either charcoal&woodchips from Rookchips or I use peat briquettes from Scotland (bought on my last holliday there). Both work quite well, but temperature control is a bit of a challenge.

Just picked this charcoal up from my local supplier. Haven’t used it before, but he raved about it. Rib-eyes on the Weber kettle tonight, smoking pork ribs tomorrow on the kamado. It’s getting a thorough product test this weekend 🔥🍻
1A40B225-F6F3-4785-9EB2-A540825E6DAB.jpeg

Im doing brisket, ribs and a duck onbthe smoker tomorrow.

Steak, chicken 3 ways and a warm salad of courgette and pak choy tonight. Glorious.

Alabama white sauce heartily recommendes

Im doing brisket, ribs and a duck onbthe smoker tomorrow.

Steak, chicken 3 ways and a warm salad of courgette and pak choy tonight. Glorious.

Alabama white sauce heartily recommendes

Haven’t tried Alabama white yet but it’s on the list. Are you going with whole grain or or a hotter plain mustard?

No pics as im at the park but mine is on with brisket in a dry rub, and duck with a honey and 5 spice glaze. Ribs will go on when I get home with asian bbq sauce.
1 stave of whisky barrel as I think I have been guilty of over smoking in yhe past

6hrs smoking done, the temp sat at a pretty solid 100C all afternoon and the meat is falling off the bone. I’ve taken out all the deflector plates snd open the vents. Kate’s special BBQ sauce added and it’s 1hr at 180 to finish off.
Just got a chimney of charcoal on the go now to do some chicken kebabs on the Weber.

CC1ED0EB-FF74-40CE-87A3-88D056F02775.jpeg

That looks seriously good, not sure I could have left it!
The brisket got to 70 degrees. I was annoyed because I hadnt given it long enough but i took it off anyway turned out to be superb so it got waxed and no one had space for duck 🤣

The bad though.... I finished the ribs on the bbq and burnt them 😒

Back