What have you been smoking on bbq?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice and sunny today, so bit of a last minute decision to make smoked Spatchcocked jerk chicken. Rubbed chicken with a thin layer of olive oil and then added a dry jerk rub. Set up the Weber kettle for indirect cooking, with 3/4 of a chimney of lit coals on one side, chicken on the other.

Smoked at 190 (375f) until internal temp reached. I like to have the legs facing towards the coals, as I want to take them further than the breast.

I made the flat breads out of yogurt and flour, about a 50/50 mix, cooked in a pan for a minute each side. I made a simple tzatziki style sauce, out of yogurt, grated cucumber, garlic, lemon juice, mint, olive oil, salt and pepper. Worked really well with the hot and spicy chicken.
IMG_20220210_180056.jpg

IMG_20220210_174705.jpg

Nice and sunny today, so bit of a last minute decision to make smoked Spatchcocked jerk chicken. Rubbed chicken with a thin layer of olive oil and then added a dry jerk rub. Set up the Weber kettle for indirect cooking, with 3/4 of a chimney of lit coals on one side, chicken on the other.

Smoked at 190 (375f) until internal temp reached. I like to have the legs facing towards the coals, as I want to take them further than the breast.

I made the flat breads out of yogurt and flour, about a 50/50 mix, cooked in a pan for a minute each side. I made a simple tzatziki style sauce, out of yogurt, grated cucumber, garlic, lemon juice, mint, olive oil, salt and pepper. Worked really well with the hot and spicy chicken.
View attachment 62753
View attachment 62755
That looks yummy. Nice idea, I love spatchcock chicken on my Weber Charcoal BBQ too. But never did it with flatbread. I did lamb kebabs a few times last year on the BBQ with flatbread and tzatziki sauce. I must give that a try.

Is that all there is to making that bread?
I love the tzatziki sauce.
Yeah, its a fantastic way of making flat breads.

Its about a 50/50 mix of flour and natural/Greek yogurt. It depends how thick the yogurt is. I made 3 flatbreads, for that i used 150g yogurt and 175g flour. Just mixed together with a pinch of salt. Kneaded for a few minutes, then separated into 3 balls. Heat up a pan with a small amount of oil, just a teaspoon or so. Roll each ball out with a rolling pin, and into the pan for about a minute each side. I then like to brush some melted butter on top of each flat bread once they are cooked. Really easy, but makes great bread.

Decided to brave the aweful weather today and smoked a rolled brisket joint, usually I do a whole brisket but that's all the butcher had at the time.
Smoked on the charcoal side of the BBQ until the coal started to die off, then put into the electric smoker.
Usually just go with the electric smoker all the way, but decided I wanted to try a achieve a smoke ring, something that I can't achieve on electric.
Was a marvelous dpbit of meat, rubbed with SPG and smoked using oak, served with Corn on the Cob and homemade curried chips.
20220213_171230.jpg
20220213_171230.jpg
20220213_171244.jpg
20220213_171234.jpg

Used some left over smoked pork shoulder to make a ragu tonight. Sauce was onions, celery, garlic, hot smoked paprika, tomato puree, red wine, tinned tomatoes, chicken stock, oregano, bay leaf, thyme and the pork. Cooked slowly until sauce was really thick.

I made a quick pasta out of 00 flour and eggs.

IMG_20220215_193618.jpg

Just ordered the Aldi Kamado BBQ, really wanted one of these types of bbq for ages but with some costing well North of a grand I could never justify it. A friend bought the Aldi one last year and I went to have a look at it and it's a fantastic piece of kit for the money (£399). The build quality is excellent and the ceramic is really nice too. Tried a couple of different foods on his and they were sensational!! Mine will be arriving mid March so I'll post photos of what I make.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220228-233018_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220228-233018_Samsung Internet.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Picked up this small piece of Morrisons brisket today. Reduced to a reasonable £3.
1kg in weight, so perfect for 2-3 people.

I used mustard as a binder. The rub consisted of salt,pepper, garlic and onion granules. Smoked on a Weber kettle using hickory for 2 & 1/2 hours. Then placed in a dish with sliced onion, half a bulb of garlic and covered in beef stock with a splash of Worcestershire sauce. Stock went about 1/2 inch up the meat. Covered in foil and placed in the oven for 3 hours.

The first part of the cook develops the bark. With this cut, adding moisture part way through, really helps due to the lack of fat. I switched it over to the oven because its a bit of a waste of fuel when its wrapped up and there is no benefit flavour wise at this point.

Braised in the liquid until it reached 98, and was super tender. Made some fantastic sandwiches, and tuned the braising liquid into a excellent gravy.
IMG_20220315_221400.jpg

IMG_20220315_221326.jpg

On Sunday evening I cooked a beautiful steak, stuffed portobello mushrooms and baked potatoes served with crispy bacon pieces, melted cheese, sour cream and chives. Family loved it. The steak turned out perfect, nice medium rare.

Attachments

• 657C12A5-3C35-4D2E-B941-D8D396E3FB01.jpeg
    657C12A5-3C35-4D2E-B941-D8D396E3FB01.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 24
  • 98FA0F49-1195-4391-9997-CF52D19C7B4B.jpeg
    98FA0F49-1195-4391-9997-CF52D19C7B4B.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 07F47EF1-5EF5-48A1-A0ED-D03DF36712EE.jpeg
    07F47EF1-5EF5-48A1-A0ED-D03DF36712EE.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 22
Picked up a few beef short ribs from Morrisons. SPG rub, smoked at 140 using oak for 3 hours, then wrapped for 3.

Came out really well, short ribs are one of my favourites.

View attachment 65628
View attachment 65629
Wow. I love short rib. I didn’t realise Morrisons stocked them. I’ve picked up their ox cheek and smoked them and they’re good for skirt steak too.

Wow. I love short rib. I didn’t realise Morrisons stocked them. I’ve picked up their ox cheek and smoked them and they’re good for skirt steak too.
Yeah my local Morrisons just started to stock them. I really like their ox cheeks, will have to try the skirt steak.

Also, does anyone think this could be a good cut to go low and slow? I'm not too sure what part of the cow it is from, some googling suggests the flank and similar to a short rib. Good value when you compare to some cuts. Further googling suggests that they pretty much are short ribs
IMG_20220403_085755910.jpg

Last edited:
Also, does anyone think this could be a good cut to go low and slow? I'm not too sure what part of the cow it is from, some googling suggests the flank and similar to a short rib. Good value when you compare to some cuts. Further googling suggests that they pretty much are short ribs
View attachment 66143
I don't see why not. Obviously has a high fat content, which would need a good trim.

Morrison's have started to sell beef short ribs (well, the one near me does) and I think they are £7 a kilo. And although I give them a bit of a trim, they don't have that thick hard fat that won't render down. The beef ribs might be better value, by the time you have got rid of that thick layer of fat.

Back