What have you been smoking on bbq?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last thing I did was hickory smoked chicken drumsticks:

20190707_190743.jpg

Post you efforts here?

I have an old weber kettle (you can pick and old one cheap:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Weber-57cm-Premium-Large-Family-Charcoal-BBQ-Black/283543076608?hash=item42047bff00:g:I7YAAOSwdmRdJNZ3)

I use Weber Briquettes at medium heat (restricting airflow on kettle), I make the sauce myself

The drumsticks are direct for 6 mins so they go a bit golden first I put on hickory wood chunk to smoke for the rest of the cook with the drumstick over n indirect heat for remaining 35 40 mins and mopped with the sauce 10 mins for end. Aim for chicken at 75 to 78 degs c with probe to check

If you want to make a cheap cold smoker get tow boxes fit on inside the other with the inner one corners pushed in so they act as shelf supports. The put wire shelves on these have a metal tray with holes in to catch drips. under that another metal tray with a sieve which has been pushed in to create a doughnut shape,put wood dust in that but not all the way round, light one end so it smoulders and then it will smoulder all the way to other end producing light steady stream of smoke.

I use the pro q eco smoker to do smoked salmon and smoked cheese and smoked garlic and smoked eggs, smoked bacon etc:
https://www.macsbbq.com/cold-smokers/proq-eco-smoker

Bringing it back to brewing, I have smoked some malt in mine, got the idea from Radical Brewing. Get a small pile of briquettes burning at one end of the BBQ, then add wet wood chips (I used applewood) and put about 250g of crushed pale malt in a mesh container (I used a poundland sieve) on the grill at the other end and left for about 25 minutes, worked well.

I've made a cold smoker. It consists of two different diameters of copper tube, one inside the other, with a hole in both.
The inner one is connected to an aquarium pump. This is then run through the fire source (a large tin with a soldering
iron inserted, filled with wood chips). The pump creates a venturi effect, and blows the smoke into a seperate cabinet.
I use it mainly for smoking chillis (chipotles), but being cold, it's also good for cheese, garlic, bacon, ham etc...

hickory smoked chicken drumsticks:

Can you share the recipe? I'm doing a BBQ next weekend and planning on doing some drumsticks, and was looking for something a little more interesting to do with them. A bit of sticky sauce looks good.

Unfortunately I can't contain the smoke so won't work.

Two methods you could use are:
  1. Make smoke using what you have, but on top of the charcoal add some hardwood logs that have been soaked overnight. Then hang a rack of whatever is to be smoked in the smoke. If it is cheese or grain then the further away from the heat the better, but if it is meat then it can be hung nearer the heat on the basis that it will be cooked in a conventional oven after it has been smoked. (SWMBO hates this system with a passion because the house smells of woodsmoke for days afterwards; hence the ProQ Smoker!)
  2. Make smoke in a small container (I use a Tessier syrup can with holes punched in the bottom) and use small chips of hardwood. I start the fire with a small lighter and lead the smoke along a 10mm tube to a plastic box which contains whatever I wish to Cold Smoke. Once the fire is going I toss on chips of soaked hardwood and start up an aquarium compressor to keep the fire going. It can be a fiddly process but well worth the effort, especially turning a block of standard Cheddar Cheese into Smoked Cheddar Cheese!
Here's a link that explains 2. above ...

Enjoy!

And tonight it will be barbecued mackerel curry. But actually a kedgeree. It is my firing squad dinner. Anyone remember the Dave Allen sketch where a man was offered a final meal before he was shot?

Attachments

• IMG_20190817_174405133.jpg
    IMG_20190817_174405133.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_20190817_175352237.jpg
    IMG_20190817_175352237.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_20190817_175708674.jpg
    IMG_20190817_175708674.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_20190817_180540097.jpg
    IMG_20190817_180540097.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
No photos, but 2.5kg pork shoulder went into a water bath at 75C last night liberally coated in my ‘house’ rub. The Kamado grill was lit around 11am today. 2kg of pork ribs were smoked at 80C from 11.30 to 5.30, with liberal additions of soaked mesquite chips. At 5.30 the temp was cranked up to 180C and the shoulder put in for the final hour.
6pm a couple of mates came round, we’re now stuffed full on pulled pork, smoky ribs and a shed load of my last brew ‘Weiss The Flock’, a shameless Erdinger clone that has come out tasting fantastic.

Latest posts

Back