what hops to add?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom_p87

Reaction score
Hi all, I've recently brewed myself a simple SMaSH just using marris otter, simcoe and some dry hopped cascade (after 5 days). When I tried it prior to bottling it tasted great (much better than the kits i had done!) so am now thinking about experimenting with the recipe...

I am really into the "juicier" NEIPA style beers, not necessarily the high ABV ones though. I've got some mosaic, idaho 7, simcoe and cascade hops and just wondering if I can adapt my original recipe and add the mosaic and/or idaho 7 to make it more like a NEIPA (as you can tell I am a complete beginner at the AG so any tips welcome!). For what it's worth I really like the tiny rebel bang bang NEIPA which is simcoe/idaho 7 hopped. My first AG brew was probably a bit "thin" from a texture perspective and really like the thicker texture of a NEIPA if that makes sense

I'm also wondering how much hops to add? My previous recipe was 50g simcoe during late boil and 15g dry hopped cascade (for a 10L batch). My new batch is going to be 23L so I was thinking of just scaling up the quantities but then also adding a TBD amount of mosaic and/or idaho 7

Any tips/comments would be much appreciated

Cheers

Tom

You brewed a SMaTH!...Two hops! As for NEIPA...I'm looking into this too...it seems the style is to add most or all of your hops is at hopstand/whirlpool at 80c then about day three of high krausen then a dry hop. Problems to look at include oxygen ingress which will spoil the beer. The beer will also have quite a short shelf life, especially if bottled as purging headspace is difficult.

Not to wee on your chips Tom, but NEIPA's can be an easy beer to cock up and they're usually pretty expensive because of all of the additional hops. If you've the equipment for closed transfers, closed dry hopping, temp control, water chemistry and some ascorbic acid then great, but if I didn't have the equipment and/or knowledge I'd definitely work on a small batch 10/15 litres basis initially until I'd nailed it.

This isn't intending to sound patronising, it's just with NEIPAs you risk oxygen exposure at many. many points especially if you're bottling.

NEIPA Recipe Guide

Apartment Brewer

Apartment Brewer 5 Day Kveik NEIPA

thanks to you both for the responses. I wasn't sure if a SMaSH only related to the hops during boil...the recipe i followed was called a SMaSH but as you say maybe it was a SMaTH :) Completely understand I might be getting a bit ahead of myself here...maybe the NEIPA is one for the future especially given my crude brewing setup. Any suggestions for if you think the mosaic and/or idaho 7 might pair well with the existing simcoe/cascade recipe? and what kind of ballpark amount of hops is sensible to add? Based on your oxygen spoiling comments i'd probably do a single dry hop rather than multiple stages

Simcoe is LUDICOUSLY fruity when not used as a bittering hop, I love it more as a late addition whirlpool as I'm not a fan of the pine.

If it was me I'd use the cascade as the bittering addition depending on the alpha acids, what AA is it?

What brewing software are you using? Brewfather will let you input the hop amounts and adjust the AA%, which lets you see how it affects the overall BU:GU Ratio of the beer as you're designing it and give you a running total of the hops per litre/gallon ratio

If you're using Oats, Wheat etc in the mash, I'd recommend rice hulls or oat husks to prevent a stuck mash/sparge and I'd recommend using a fruity kveik so you can dry hop within 24 hours (high krausen should produce enough CO2 to reduce the risk of oxidisation) to get that "fruity" biotransformation from the reaction between the yeast and the hops.

I've never used Mosaic or Idaho 7, but I've had single hopped varieties from Cloudwater. The Mosaic had almost a sweet shop/juicy fruit quality to it. Idaho 7 was very "Herbal" and made it obvious that hops are related to cannabis...

Unfortunately I can't really advise given that what Cloudwater get out of their hopping is likely very different from what we homebrewers get out, but there will be a wealth of tried and tested Neipa recipes out there. Look at the Hops per Litre/gallon ratio to give you a guideline of what to follow.

thanks @St00 , the cascade is 12.4%AA. I've been using BIABacus so far as i've been brewing in just a single pot. I will check out brewfather. thanks for the advice!

Back