What if marriage was not recognised in law?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always wondered what business a modern state had in people’s relationships and marriages.

A standard (or multiple adaptable) contracts between two consenting people without government would do much the same, but remove the governments control over who it deems morally appropriate to marry or from give tax breaks due to their relationship status, which seems ridiculous to me.

I have no doubt people would still get married and do the ceremonies etc. It just wouldn’t be the business of the state.

Besides which there is already law regarding the separation of couples who aren’t married to protect some of the interests of those involved.

Children obviously can’t consent to marriage or form a binding contract but almost any other combination of consenting adults (even more than 2 people) seems legit to me.

(OK, not parent/child or siblings, though Afaik first cousins can already legally marry in the U.K. can’t they?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a thought but as the title says "What if marriage was not recognised in law" the law could still treat people as couples or families where relevant, people could still have whatever ceremony they want and if they want a binding legal agreement they can enter into one on the terms they want. It also solves any LGBT marriage issues if there still are any. Can anyone see a down side?
but surely without getting the government involved, how do you know you truly love someone? there is nothing as romantic as inviting a bureaucracy in to affirm your relationship.
I wooed my sweetheart with trips to hmrc and the dvla

Back