What is the best beer you have brewed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horners

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am about 20 brews and 20 months into my fledgling home brewing career and was flicking through my brew journal reminding myself of the hits and misses.

Bored at work so my question is, if you had to choose say three beers what are the best ones (apply your own criteria) you have brewed? For me I would choose the following:

First Place: St Austell 1851 IPA from a Brew UK AG kit
Second Place: Youngs Special Clone - from Graham Wheelers book replacing base malt with DME
Third Place: An attempt at Darkstar Hophead that I cobbled together myself from various online sources

In no particular order:

The Kernel Imperial Brown Stout clone
Founders Breakfast Stout clone
3 Floyds Dreadnaught DIPA clone

My first AG brew was a Ghost Ship clone and whether it was that good or if it was just such a leap from the previous kits I had done that made it seem great, but I have very fond memories of that beer. 'Twas lovely.

My current brew, a clone of Brewdogs Hop Fiction is just maturing nicely and is a gorgeous hoppy pint, and definitely one that'll be seeing the inside of my fermenter again soon

Finally, I recently made a saaz pilsner that was bloody lovely and my clearest beer to date - my first foray into gelatine fining and I have to say it worked a treat.

Ah, beer. It makes me happy.

I put it up on Brewers Friend but I tweaked it slightly by adding lactose for mouthfeel. Also, the sugar addition should be a blend of white, light and dark brown (I forgot and just added dark brown).

If I was doing it again, I'd remove the lactose, add the proper sugar and use all the hops as FWH.... Just to see the difference.

I put it up on Brewers Friend but I tweaked it slightly by adding lactose for mouthfeel. Also, the sugar addition should be a blend of white, light and dark brown (I forgot and just added dark brown).

If I was doing it again, I'd remove the lactose, add the proper sugar and use all the hops as FWH.... Just to see the difference.
How does it compare with this one?

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/the-kernel-imperial-brown-stout-london-1856/

It really was. I wasn't expecting them to be so open about the recipe. A nice touch from a great brewery.

I am about 20 brews and 20 months into my fledgling home brewing career and was flicking through my brew journal reminding myself of the hits and misses.

Bored at work so my question is, if you had to choose say three beers what are the best ones (apply your own criteria) you have brewed? For me I would choose the following:

First Place: St Austell 1851 IPA from a Brew UK AG kit
Second Place: Youngs Special Clone - from Graham Wheelers book replacing base malt with DME
Third Place: An attempt at Darkstar Hophead that I cobbled together myself from various online sources
. I’d love to try a clone of the Hophead myself, would you mind sharing the recipe? How close to the original did you get? Thanks!

Not sure I could pick one

An Export stout based on one of Rons recipes was excellent
A Burton that I bottled with brett c again based on an old recipe was great, I have one bottle left it's now about 20 months old I think.
One of the first AG brews I did stuck in my mind, was an IPA with loads of williamette in it. I also dropped a dirty dishtowel into the fermentor as I was filling it with wort, was gutted at the time but I let it go and it turned out great and no sign of infection

I brewed it again but stayed truer to the recipe this time. Turned out effing fantastic...again.

This one's on my imminent to-brew list. However, I'm tempted to pitch a belgian yeast, probably t-58, to add another dimension. Having brewed this beer twice now, how do you think that kind of yeast would work?

I am not familiar with that yeast so I really couldn't say. US-05 is the yeast The Kernel use and it's the one I used this time. First time I brewed it I used 04 yeast. If your intention is to create the beer with a 'Belgian taste', then I guess a Belgian yeast would help towards that.

I've done many over the years but still struggle with a good old fashioned bitter have just brewed the yorkshire bitter from the bible with a few changes but still fermenting. My latest success is a rhubarb IPA which seems to go down well even the wife asks for it now

Back