What is the proper term for the sediment of grain in beer or chinese rice wine brewing ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew_ysk

Reaction score
What is the term for the used mushy grain left in beer or chinese rice wine brewing ?
I have being searching google for the term, but can't seems to find it.. it is just called "sediment" ?

Thanks

When making beer , we call it TRUB (from the German trube, which means cloudy), when making wine we call it SEDIMENT or LEES. But sediment is fine for all purpose use.

While 'lees' has come to refer to wine sediment, it used to apply to beer too. I prefer it to 'trub', never really like that word so I don't like to use it.

The sediment in a bottle of homebrew was in the past referred to as "the brewer's inch" (said to be why brewers lived long and had large families)...

When making beer , we call it TRUB (from the German trube, which means cloudy), when making wine we call it SEDIMENT or LEES. But sediment is fine for all purpose use.
Your question isn't very clear. Do you mean the used, mushy grain that's left in the mash tun or the deposit of yeast left at the bottom of the bottle?
I refer to the former as spent grain and the latter as dregs.

Your question isn't very clear. Do you mean the used, mushy grain that's left in the mash tun or the deposit of yeast left at the bottom of the bottle?
I refer to the former as spent grain and the latter as dregs.
Yes, i am refering to the mushy grain (spent grain).
Spent grain = Trub = mushy grain = mash = the brewer's inch
Sediment sounds more like from yeast or sediment of floating liquid

Latest posts

Back