• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Homebrew Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

What is this stuff worth?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pit Creature

Reaction score
So I’m quite new to home brewing, I’ve done some kits but I feel like I’ve got the bug and i’d Like to try some all grain brewing. I’ve seen some equipment available local to me but I don’t really know enough to know if it’s everything I need or how much it’s worth.

Any opinions on what this stuff is worth? Is it everything i’d need? I know the pan is 50l and it’s brand new. I’m assuming it doesn’t have a tap on it.

It looks like you have 2 x 30l kegs 1 converted to a HLT 1 plain and a stock pot and the parts to make the plain keg and the stock pot into a boiler and a mash tun plus a few bottles caps and a cheap capper and a temperature controller. If its just bits and pieces that may not work and the made HLT may not even hold water but all the ball valves are good then maybe £100-£150 but its hard to say from the pictures and only if its the exact type of setup your looking for. If you can see the HLT works and the other bits look new then maybe £100 more. But if your not sure what your doing with it and don't want to diy it all just avoid it.

Pit if you cannot verify where the kegs came from i wouldn't touch them -

28863c_01645c94ac24430ca23a80eaca6d96b2.png

https://www.kegwatch.co.uk/

Each year the brewing industry loses many millions of pounds through the theft and misappropriation of kegs, casks (containers) and dispense gas cylinders. Keg Watch is the organisation committed to reducing these losses.
Keg Watch is a Trade Association limited by guarantee. We represent the interests of over 1000 members from micro to international brewers, cider makers and the major suppliers of dispense gases to the industry.
The aim of this website is to provide information about Keg Watch to licensees, the industry, the police and the public and to raise awareness of the issues involved.
If you are involved in handling stolen kegs, the penalties are severe.
Keg Watch pays rewards for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the theft or unauthorized destruction of containers.
Keg Watch operates a confidential free phone line for any general queries or information you may have, call us on 0808 100 1945.

Pit if you cannot verify where the kegs came from i wouldn't touch them -

28863c_01645c94ac24430ca23a80eaca6d96b2.png

https://www.kegwatch.co.uk/

Each year the brewing industry loses many millions of pounds through the theft and misappropriation of kegs, casks (containers) and dispense gas cylinders. Keg Watch is the organisation committed to reducing these losses.
Keg Watch is a Trade Association limited by guarantee. We represent the interests of over 1000 members from micro to international brewers, cider makers and the major suppliers of dispense gases to the industry.
The aim of this website is to provide information about Keg Watch to licensees, the industry, the police and the public and to raise awareness of the issues involved.
If you are involved in handling stolen kegs, the penalties are severe.
Keg Watch pays rewards for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the theft or unauthorized destruction of containers.
Keg Watch operates a confidential free phone line for any general queries or information you may have, call us on 0808 100 1945.

Okay, cheers for that. Wouldn’t have even thought about it.

It looks like you have 2 x 30l kegs 1 converted to a HLT 1 plain and a stock pot and the parts to make the plain keg and the stock pot into a boiler and a mash tun plus a few bottles caps and a cheap capper and a temperature controller. If its just bits and pieces that may not work and the made HLT may not even hold water but all the ball valves are good then maybe £100-£150 but its hard to say from the pictures and only if its the exact type of setup your looking for. If you can see the HLT works and the other bits look new then maybe £100 more. But if your not sure what your doing with it and don't want to diy it all just avoid it.
Cheers for the advice.
I think you’re right, as I don’t know how I’d use half of that stuff, i’m probably better off going down a biab route to begin with.

Hey Pit,

I happened across this, so hope you don't mind me sticking my 5p worth in!

I'm quite new to all-grain brewing and new to this site, but you seem in two minds so thought some advice might help. I was pondering for ages what kit I'd need, how much room I'd need, etc. and was in danger of spending loads of dough...

I finally decided that rather and go the whole-hog first time round, I'd try BIAB. I bought a 20l pot (no tap), a mash/sparge bag, and an all-in-one all-grain kit (grain/hops/yeast). It makes things dead easy. Heat up the water, stick in your grain, let it soak. Take the grain out and sparge by rinsing or dunking the bag, then boil what you have left, adding your hops as you go. Cool it down, chuck it in the fermenting vessel and chuck in your yeast. It really is that easy. The pot and bag cost me £40, and I assume even if I upgrade a 20l pot will be of some use (and if not, I've not lost much).

You'll need an FV (with bung/airlock possibly) sanitiser, bottles, caps, capper and a syphon but other than the bottles, that's all pretty cheap, and will all be reused, other than the caps. Of course, there are lots of other things you CAN buy, but honestly the above will get you drinkable beer in a few weeks, and is an easy win...

It means the entry into AG brewing is quick and easy, and means you haven't bought loads of kit you don't need/won't use.

It's also nice that in the 20l pot with a 15l recipe I end up with maybe 20 or so bottles of beer, so I can try lots of styles/flavours/recipes (I have about 40 - 50 bottles lying about, you can often pick these up for free or re-use beer bottles you drink from if they happen to be brown..).

Anyway, just thought I'd pipe up - don't want to put you of your purhcase, but just showing that getting into it for the first time can be cheap and easy... Others may disagree with my line of thinking, just thought I'd share my experience!

Cheers.

Hey Pit,

I happened across this, so hope you don't mind me sticking my 5p worth in!

I'm quite new to all-grain brewing and new to this site, but you seem in two minds so thought some advice might help. I was pondering for ages what kit I'd need, how much room I'd need, etc. and was in danger of spending loads of dough...

I finally decided that rather and go the whole-hog first time round, I'd try BIAB. I bought a 20l pot (no tap), a mash/sparge bag, and an all-in-one all-grain kit (grain/hops/yeast). It makes things dead easy. Heat up the water, stick in your grain, let it soak. Take the grain out and sparge by rinsing or dunking the bag, then boil what you have left, adding your hops as you go. Cool it down, chuck it in the fermenting vessel and chuck in your yeast. It really is that easy. The pot and bag cost me £40, and I assume even if I upgrade a 20l pot will be of some use (and if not, I've not lost much).

You'll need an FV (with bung/airlock possibly) sanitiser, bottles, caps, capper and a syphon but other than the bottles, that's all pretty cheap, and will all be reused, other than the caps. Of course, there are lots of other things you CAN buy, but honestly the above will get you drinkable beer in a few weeks, and is an easy win...

It means the entry into AG brewing is quick and easy, and means you haven't bought loads of kit you don't need/won't use.

It's also nice that in the 20l pot with a 15l recipe I end up with maybe 20 or so bottles of beer, so I can try lots of styles/flavours/recipes (I have about 40 - 50 bottles lying about, you can often pick these up for free or re-use beer bottles you drink from if they happen to be brown..).

Anyway, just thought I'd pipe up - don't want to put you of your purhcase, but just showing that getting into it for the first time can be cheap and easy... Others may disagree with my line of thinking, just thought I'd share my experience!

Cheers.
Cheers. I’ve bought a 33l pot to try some biab. I already had the fv etc... from doing extract kits. Just need a bag now and to decide what recipe to go for. Cheers though.

Latest posts

Back