What is your favourite German beer recipe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapdoor

Reaction score
The weather is still cold so it's lager season for me.

Let's hear about the best Germanic-style bottom fermented beers you've made!

Got any good Vienna, Marzen or Bock recipes?

It's lager season for me, too, but I'm going to try an altbier for the first time using Wyeast 1007, a top fermenter. Never tried it before and I don't think I've ever tasted it, either, but the recipe looks delicious. I've been culturing the yeast in an American wheat beer, which is well due for racking, until DPD finally delivered my caramunich 3 (two weeks now instead of 3-4 days) so it's going on over the weekend.

I just packaged altbier from Greg Hughes book "North German Altbier". Used Wyeast 1007 , done the starter and it fermented really quickly. It blew off the lid on the fermenter clapa
Initial taste after just before Keging was really encouraging , lets hope it gets even better.
Sorry not a bottom fermenting beer

I do enjoy a good German Pilsner. Pils malt, 10% Vienna or so, a little melanoidin. Hallertau mittelfruh up to 40 ibus.

Does anyone know of a particularly good recipe book for German beers / lagers?

A third munich malt, a third Vienna malt, a third pilsner malt, 20 IBUs of mittlefruh fermented with W34/70 makes a good marzen.
I tried this recipe with cold fermented kveik last year. Didnt taste like a lager at all, bizarrely it tasted almost exactly like a pint of Otter ale with just a hint of orange. Not bad, but definitely not the pseudo-lager I was going for.

I will try this style again with 34/70, although maybe I'll go slightly less munich (25% total grist) and slightly more IBUs.

I only tend to make top fermented beers, but am planing to make a lager very soon, just 100% pils, homegrown hallertau mittelfruh and 34/70. Going to base it on Schoenramer, so a more modern take with a light dry hop and nice and bitter.

Alt bier is the closest german equivalent of boring brown bitter :D

This is the recipe I've used in the past for it, makes for a good beer, loosely based on Uerige Alt
96.4% pils
2.3% cara 60 ebc
1.3% carafa 3
og 1.048

mix of spalt, perle and HM for 40 IBU 60mins, late addition of HM 1g/l
top fermenting clean german yeast or other clean ale yeast

A third munich malt, a third Vienna malt, a third pilsner malt, 20 IBUs of mittlefruh fermented with W34/70 makes a good marzen.
That's what I've been doing 1 third each plus just some bits to give a little head retention with not too over powerful hops and they are lovely I've also starting doing beers with quite a high percentage of Vienna and that is also so good. Ps I only use a normal yeast like Kentucky from CML or a Kolsch

Back