What is your mains voltage? (UK only, please)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your mains voltage?

• 216 to 219

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 220 to 223

• 224 to 227

• 228 to 231

• 232 to 235

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • 236 to 239

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • 240 to 243

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • 244 to 247

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • 248 to 251

• 252 to 255

• sorry, but I'm incompetent!

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters

kelper

Old Salt
Reaction score
What is your mains voltage? (UK only, please). I'm interested because it comes up frequently on forums. UK was nominally 240V; Europe was typically 220V. Under EU harmonisation rules the supply has to be 230V -6% +10% so anywhere between 216 and 253.

If you have a decent meter and are competent, please measure your mains voltage at or near the distribution board. Please take a few measurements when there are no heavy loads in use such as showers, immersion heaters, ovens etc. Even better, do it at the weekend when industry is demanding less power.

236v/240v
IMG_20200621_130657.jpg
IMG_20200621_130656.jpg

Ours is currently hovering around 238. Local demand must be high because I've seen it up around 244 before.

Wow! What happened? Hope you are fully recovered now?
Accidentally shorted (and evaporated a probe.) Silly mistake.
I'm fine. It just surprised me for a few seconds.

decades of working with electricity doesn't mean you're being safe.

A colleague changed a 440v breaker on a switchboard. But he had isolated the wrong switchboard and there was a big bang when he pushed the new breaker into position. There were two electricians on the job and they were black from head to toe but not seriously injured.

This thread is shocking don’t mess with electricity guys.
Not sure if this is meant to be humorous or not? I did ask only competent people to reply.

On a side note, according to our office of national statistics, the number who die from contact with electric current in the home is in single figures each year. Probably due to speedy RCD devices. Interesting post here https://www2.theiet.org/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=61494

I can't find that data source or an updated version but I did look at this

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...ctriccurrentbysexandagegroupengland2001to2016
I am certainly not suggesting that everyone who has a meter should be checking live voltages at home.

You were trying to measure the current weren’t you. 😂

...I mean, oh you poor thing, I hope you’re okay?
Far more stupid than that.

I knew I was safe from being zapped. But the flash and bang were uncalculated...

Far more stupid than that.

I knew I was safe from being zapped. But the flash and bang were uncalculated...

I once worked on a teasmaid at my parents house. I’d switched off the socket but stupidly left it plugged in when my dad came in the kitchen to make a cup of tea and switched on the kettle...

Took me about 3 seconds to disentangle myself from the nest of live wires, all the time receiving 240 volts and making some unnatural guttural sounds. My dad backing away saying woah! and holding his hands in the air to make it plain it had nothing to do with him!

I’ve had dozens of shocks over the years, that one hurt the most.

Last year I was adding a new cable to power an external plug socket from the consumer unit in the garage, flicked the switch on the main household consumer unit to cut the feed to the garage and set to work.
I had flicked the switch to the shower and not the external consumer unit.......

BANG!
I was launched right across the garage and smacked in to the side of my car.
Simple mistakes can hurt and cost me a new door for the Volvo xc90

So, why did the RCD not trip the power? How did you feel after the initial shock? No pun intended but I did feel energised after a 440V shock.

Back