What kit beer are you drinking tonight?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 x MJ Simcoe IPA, bottle conditioned, not as nice as the same brew in the corny keg as it seems a little greener? Still good tho ( I bottle 4 or 5 that don't go in the corny)

I'm on a Beerworks Golden Rocket Strong Pale. Been in the bottle for just over a month and I'm mightily impressed. Lots of body and a lovely silky mouth feel. Absolutely pub standard beer. It's quite unusual, being a 'regular' pale (not a hoppy IPA) and strong, at around 6%. Not surprising since the kit comes with 3kg of malt and 1.2kg of additional LME. Can definitely recommend! 👌 20210121_195232.jpg

2 x MJ Simcoe IPA, bottle conditioned, not as nice as the same brew in the corny keg as it seems a little greener? Still good tho ( I bottle 4 or 5 that don't go in the corny)

Havent tried this one yet. How does this stack up against the MJ Juicy IPA? Have done that and the Raspberry Berliner Weiss, and they've both been total winner. Now torn between the Simcoe and the Brut IPAs for the next one...

Havent tried this one yet. How does this stack up against the MJ Juicy IPA? Have done that and the Raspberry Berliner Weiss, and they've both been total winner. Now torn between the Simcoe and the Brut IPAs for the next one...
Hi @Pablosaurus, I find them a little to bitter and not as nice as a JIPA (juicy IPA) given time the bitterness subsides but I'm an impatient fecker. I have done the Brut IPA a couple of times and is a nice pint although the first time I did it I added more DME than I should (didn't read the instructions...DoH) and it turned out stronger than it should. I would recommend them both for different reasons, the Simcoe is darker with a more pronounced taste and the Brut is dryer than an Arabs flip flop.

I'm on a Beerworks Golden Rocket Strong Pale. Been in the bottle for just over a month and I'm mightily impressed. Lots of body and a lovely silky mouth feel. Absolutely pub standard beer. It's quite unusual, being a 'regular' pale (not a hoppy IPA) and strong, at around 6%. Not surprising since the kit comes with 3kg of malt and 1.2kg of additional LME. Can definitely recommend! 👌View attachment 39904
I'm a big fan of the Beerworks stuff, but not yet tried this one. Sticking it on my next order.

@Merkin - you won't be disappointed - it has a really moreish biscuity taste, and great head retention. I haven't done any other Beerworks kits yet, but plan to this year. Which would you recommend? I'm open to anything as long as the quality is there. Amazing that this level can be achieved from a kit these days - I don't really see much point in pushing up to all grain until I've exhausted all the BW and MJ Craft options (given homeschooling, family life, fulltime work etc.)

@Merkin - you won't be disappointed - it has a really moreish biscuity taste, and great head retention. I haven't done any other Beerworks kits yet, but plan to this year. Which would you recommend? I'm open to anything as long as the quality is there. Amazing that this level can be achieved from a kit these days - I don't really see much point in pushing up to all grain until I've exhausted all the BW and MJ Craft options (given homeschooling, family life, fulltime work etc.)
@Pablosaurus I think my favourites are (in no particular order), Dragon's Special Kentish bitter, Sheepdog's Pride Suffolk bitter, and Uncle Teddy's Yorkshire bitter. These are all good, refreshing beers with taste aplenty. Of the stronger beers Will's Olde English Ale turned out well (but treat with respect!), and I was impressed with Guinea's Irish Stout.
I've never had a Beerworks brew that has been disappointing, and much like yourself, I'm slowly working my way through the catalogue. Also like yourself, I'm considering the AG route, but all the while I can produce an enjoyable beer without too much trouble, I can take my time.
Only thing I have noticed, and I guess it applies to most home brew, is that it very much improves with time - currently increasing storage capacity accordingly and hoping Mrs Merkin doesn't notice the erosion of her territory!

The Beerworks Presidents Sierra American pale ale kit is fantastic.
Strangely enough, I was looking at that the other day (it was the Citra hops that got me) and have already mentally added it to my next order. I had hoped to be able to settle on one or two beers to produce on a regular basis, but the whole of the Beerworks catalogue is just too tempting!
Currently supping on a Titanic Porter - multiple layers of flavour, just right for this cold weather.

Thanks @Merkin and @Ezza for the recommendations. I was a hair's breadth away from brewing the BW Will's Olde English Ale in the autumn last year, but opted instead for the Festival Old Suffolk. It was a mistake - I've enjoyed Festival kits in the past (Golden Stag and Landlord) - but this one fell short of expectations; the fateful twang is there and it's all rather one dimensional. Good to hear that BWs are so consistent in quality. I'll be getting another on soon, once I've bottled/barrelled the two that are on the go at the moment - MJ Juicy IPA (those Citra hops again!) and the St Peters Cream Stout.

Enjoy the Titanic! I still have work to do before I can tuck in...

Mangrove Jacks American IPA, first time I've brewed MJ and it's a decent drop but halfway through the barrel
on balance I'd probably give the Youngs AIPA the edge - slightly hoppier, drier finish, but this has nice malt.
IMG_2021-01-31-18-50-53-269.jpg

Succumbed to temptation tonight and had a premature taste of the St Peter's Cream Stout, after only a week in the bottle. Damn, if it's this good now, it's gonna be awesome this time next month.

Back