What kit beer are you drinking tonight?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds interesting, any more details; quantities, volume, temperature, etched?

It's on my Brew Day but here's the extract:

WILKO LIGHT GOLDEN LAGER WITH GRAPEFRUIT
11th December 2019

Started with Wilko IPA Kit and 0.5kg of Muntons Beer Enhancer.
Added 1 litre of Tesco Grapefruit Juice to fermenter. (**)
Made as per instructions to 21 litres.
Cooled to 20*C, took OG and pitched kit yeast .
Fermenting at 19*C in Brew Fridge.
20th December 2019
Checked SG at 1.010
Started cold-crash to 10*C.
28th December 2019
Transferred to Wilko Keg
Added 15g of carbonating sugar.
Added 2 litres of Hop Tea made from 25g of Cascade Leaf.
Carbonated in fridge at 19*C.
30th December 2019
Moved from fridge to condition after checking carbonation underway.
DETAILS
OG = 1.038
FG = 1.010
ABV = 3.68% (*)
(*)
ABV less due to addition of Hop Tea.
First taste of FG Sample is that the Grapefruit flavour is still there! YAY!

(**) It was the Tesco Pink Grapefruit Juice. The reason I mention this is that the flavour from the "ordinary" grapefruit juice seems a lot stronger!

Enjoy!

@Dutto, your title says Wilko light golden lager but then you say you started with the Wilko IPA kit?

Good to know that adding grapefruit juice to a kit works. I think I might try something similar.

You have to go back through the Thread.

The latest effort is with an IPA (photograph below). At the moment it still hasn't cleared, it's really bitter and there is a strong taste of grapefruit; which is why I stressed in my reply that I had used "Pink" juice in the Light Golden Lager one.

I'm hoping that "Time + Gravity" will clear it and it will also mellow!

IMG_1594 (1).jpg

Found my last bottle of St. Peter’s cream stout kit. Brewed straight on the 10th Feb 2018, bottled 8th March 2018. Came in at
9976F910-0337-41C9-A391-0BF1AB1375EB.jpeg
5.2% ish. So nearly 2 years in the bottle , incredible mouth feel & everything a cream stout should be. You could tweak this with a bit more lactose & some cocoa nibs but to be honest if I made it again I would age it & leave it 2 years & brew straight again. Cheers

Found my last bottle of St. Peter’s cream stout kit. Brewed straight on the 10th Feb 2018, bottled 8th March 2018. Came in at View attachment 231675.2% ish. So nearly 2 years in the bottle , incredible mouth feel & everything a cream stout should be. You could tweak this with a bit more lactose & some cocoa nibs but to be honest if I made it again I would age it & leave it 2 years & brew straight again. Cheers
Nice looking pint! I’ve been wondering how long beer will keep I’m hoping to lay a few belgian ales down

Nice looking pint! I’ve been wondering how long beer will keep I’m hoping to lay a few belgian ales down
I have at least 2 bottles left of a brewferm tripel I made Xmas 18 for Xmas 19 superb tripel. Get their kits they are fab if you have patience.

The Brewferm kits are excellent. I have found that the Tripel/Dubbel/Christmas need at least 6 months before starting to condition and the sweet spot is 9-12 months. However, I still have 2 750ml bottles of Brewferm Christmas Ale which was bottled on 31.12.17. It is starting to get nice liquorice/chocolate notes now

I have their Christmas ale still going after 3 weeks, ?is that normal? down to 1022, and have an eye on the dubbel and grand cru, must learn to be patient cheers, pint (or two) of tinsel toes tonight

The Brewferm kits are excellent. I have found that the Tripel/Dubbel/Christmas need at least 6 months before starting to condition and the sweet spot is 9-12 months. However, I still have 2 750ml bottles of Brewferm Christmas Ale which was bottled on 31.12.17. It is starting to get nice liquorice/chocolate notes now

Oh my got!!! I won't be doing there kits if it takes that long to be good.

Ha, I couldn't make enough to look at that long, I've a job to leave stuff over a month!! I know the answer is make loads but then I need a grands worth of bottles. Terry I've only got 2ltr of the stuff I made just before Christmas!! I can't see that getting past the weekend. I'm **** at saving anything that's why I'm always skint.

Last edited:
Trying the £9-99 simply bitter again I got of amazon, the one with the hopped dme in it its getting better, very bitter but I like bitter, I might order another at that price and stick some light dme and dem sugar with a touch of honey and dry hop it with challenger

Patience paying off for me, the Tinsel Toes (3 months bottled) is now superb! Also ridiculously excited to be brewing a HBC blonde ale this weekend, my first go at this kind of kit

raspberry pale.

Attachments

• 20200324_182147.jpg
    20200324_182147.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 281
I think it’s a Simply Brown Ale one. Had it lurking in shed since Christmas.
Tastes excellent now. Ever so slightly sweet oddly.

One of the only good things about bottling is that you can hide them away and age them. When I was entering dates into my spreadsheet that shows how long things have been bottled the keg of porter I finished about a fortnight ago would have been 29 days old today. A keg I did a few Christmasses ago lasted less than three days and that was just me drinking it.

Latest posts

Back