What kit beer are you drinking tonight?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kegged my MJ Brut IPA (7.1%) yesterday and force carbed it overnight. I had a swift half when I got back from a walk and first taste thoughts were that it was a bit too dry for me but as I drank it I really liked it, tried another half just to make sure of course and it will certainly be a drink I will enjoy.

Edit...good job really as I have another 36 pints left.

Last edited:
Gar, is this the normal Coopers stout or the Irish stout? Did you just brew it up with Coopers brew enhancer or did you do something different?
Coopers original stout. I added 1kg of ritchies beer kit enhancer + 500gms medium DME. Came out about 5%.
It was a bit sweet at first, but after 6-7 weeks in bottle, the roast flavours are coming through

Was going to be a beerworks chinook ipa but decided on this instead. Absolutely lovely when ice cold.
20200626_183214.jpg

Wilko IPA. I found this last bottle at the back of the shelf in the garage,it must have been there 18months, its lovely, pity its the only one,I made it with 1kg brew enhancer and wilko Ale yeast,really nice.
IMG_20200710_201546.jpg

A Coopers Mexican Cerveza. I brewed it with 1.2kg LME and nothing else so it is pretty basic. It's a nice easy beer to drink but not the most exciting, it could definitely benefit from something to give it a bit more life.

IMG_20200710_232949.jpg

It's the third bottle I've had from this batch and it's the first I've been quite happy with. The other two seemed to have poor head retention and didn't seem to be as well carbonated as tonight's. The first two bottles also seemed to have quite a strong flavour that I would almost describe as malty but I'm not sure that would be the right way to describe it, I really wasn't impressed with them. Tonight's was quite different though, seemed a lot lighter in taste and well carbonated. I've followed the 2+2+2 rule and the bottles had been in the fridge for at least 24 hours, though they had been put in the fridge exactly 2 weeks into the conditioning phase so maybe a bit early? When bottling (PET bottles) I think I'm quite careful to make sure my bottle caps are well tightened, I use a cloth on the cap to give a good grip and make it as tight as I can get it. Would the extra chilling time of tonight's bottle have made a difference? Given the time of year I've struggled to keep the bottles anywhere that would be considered cool but I'd say they have been kept at 15C. Perhaps my conditioning has been done too warm? For the first two weeks after bottling the bottles were stored in the same place the FV was so they should have carbed at the same or similar temp to primary. fermentation

I put 4 bottles in the fridge at the start of the week so I'll try another tomorrow and see if it is like tonight's or like the first two.

Young's harvest lager. It's turning into a good lager after 5 weeks of conditioning, I undercarbed it (by following the instructions of course :laugh8: athumb..) by priming with only half a teaspoon of sugar to each bottle. As per Terrym's advice I added another half teaspoon and re-carbed. I've got another one of these kits so will definitely prime with more sugar next time!

20200717_175503.jpg

I am finishing off Youngs Definitive Lager, because I brewed two at the same time, I didn't have enough bottles for it all, so left about half of the brew in a barrel, which explains the lack of carbonation.
Looks pale due to the white wall and harsh lighting.

109302729_10159941865854377_1820519264537758068_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back