What plate chiller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve123

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
For me? Neither!

Plate chillers are a real PIA because they are expensive to buy and an absolute bugger to dismantle, clean and reassemble.

I get by with my home-made immersion chiller and use the time it takes to chill the wort to clean the Hop Bags and get the FV ready for the brew.

Cleaning my Immersion Cooler (below) is 1. Lift it out. 2. Rinse off the outside. 3. Shake off the drops before putting it away until next time.

New Cooler MK2.jpg

You don’t dismantle those type of heat plate chillers, just soak in a bucket of hot PBW, rinse, flush with star san, blow out and cap the ends. It’s then ready for the next brew.

That 125kW one will take a 23L batch of boiling wort down to pitching temp in 10 mins or less this time of year. I have the same one.

It’s a little oversized tbh for a normal batch so you could same a few quid. I had one half the size on my first rig.

I want to find a quicker way of cooling, I’m currently brewing 40 litres but can do about 50 litres in the kettle. I’m probably favouring the 125 kw one

You don’t dismantle those type of heat plate chillers, just soak in a bucket of hot PBW, rinse, flush with star san, blow out and cap the ends. It’s then ready for the next brew.

I worked with Plate Heat Exchangers in the Oil & Gas Industry for many years and my original feelings are the same.

It's possibly an "old dinosaur" syndrome, but if owned one and was unlucky enough to get a brew infected, the Plate Cooler you describe would be at the top of my list of things to dismantle and physically clean!

"Believe in The Lord ..." is a great motto ...

... however, it ends with "... but keep your powder dry!"

They’re braised together, unlike the plated heat exchangers that you are referring to.

I agree there must be a higher chance of infection if your routine is lacking. I stored my old one in a bucket of star san.

Thanks all for advice much appreciated, I have an immersion chiller already and although easy to use and wash wanted to explore something more effective, I managed to get a used 125kw 30 plate one that had only been used twice with cam locks on, so have ordered this.

Latest posts

Back