What shall I do with this Bomb?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molineux

Reaction score
Hello. I made some elderberry wine a month or so ago, a few days into fermentation, berries were being pushed up into the airlock as the container was too full. I decided to scoop some out to allow it room. For some reason, I didn't want to chuck them so I stored them in a jam jar. I decided to put the lid on it and store it in a bucket outside. :twisted:
I don't know why I do these things.

Anyhow, I obviously expected it to break yet it hasn't it somehow managed to contain that pressure, maybe there wasn't enough sugar in the berries I scooped out, maybe it was the cold temperature. Anyway, I made sure to pick it up with my motorcycle gloves, I was very aware of its imminent nature. What should I do with it? The top is abnormally bulged out, I'm excited to try a carbonated version of my wine, I'm just not too excited to try opening it. It's back outside in the bucket for now.
GQpOloa.jpg

IMG_20171024_124040.jpg

IMG_20171024_124038.jpg

You could try cooling it right down and then taking the top off with the body of the jar submerged in a bucket? Not sure how successful that would be (the lid would probably be fairly tight...) and how much protection a bucket of water would give you if it did go off! Maybe a bucket of sand might be better?

I'd wrap a good few turns of 'duck' tape around and under the glass. Then open the lid - carefully.

Throw it at someone you really don't like?

Or, if you will insist on being sensible, I would suggest donning a pair of goggles and wrapping it in a thick towel which you hold with your left hand while opening it with your glove-encased right. Or vice versa if you're a lefty.

Throw it at someone you really don't like?

Or, if you will insist on being sensible, I would suggest donning a pair of goggles and wrapping it in a thick towel which you hold with your left hand while opening it with your glove-encased right. Or vice versa if you're a lefty.
Trust you to be sensible....

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

There's nothing funny about glass shrapnel. I've had to dig it out of a wooden fence when I was a kid after crown capping a fermenting mixture to see what happens and it would have shredded anyone or anything near it when it went off.
If your rubbish is transferred directly from bin to lorry, I'd just dump it and let the trucks crusher deal with it - just be careful handling it.

Put it inside a tin can that's bigger than I, seat it in the pop it in the bin. No point faffing around with it, glass shrapnel isn't fun.

The big compactor on the bin lorry will sort it out:whistle:

Back