What size hole

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello good folks, i have got a nuka tap and need to know what size hole i need to drill in the fridge door, i am presuming i need one of those bits for fitting a yale lock after drilling a pilot hole athumb..

These are perfect just start small and keep going till it fits
Screenshot_20211214-213641_Chrome.jpg

I used a 22mm spade bit. Better if it has these 'teeth' at the outer edge of the spade. It will score a circle through the fridge outer skin. Rotating the drill slighly whilst drilling will assist with this. My door is metal and super thin and soft so very easy to drill through. Go really slowly. If you go too fast there is a risk that the blade will catch and the centre will bend before its cut through. Ask me how I know.

20211214_221158.jpg

Edit to add: Had a thought, when I say slowly, I don't mean drill speed. I mean exuberance. Medium drill speed and gently with the pressure.

Last edited:
Try and clamp/ hold a piece of scrap wood on the other side of the wood so when the spade bit come through the other side it continues to drill. Just a small way into it. This will reduce the wood splitting as it breaks through the other side.
Hello good folks, i have got a nuka tap and need to know what size hole i need to drill in the fridge door, i am presuming i need one of those bits for fitting a yale lock after drilling a pilot hole athumb..

Try and clamp/ hold a piece of scrap wood on the other side of the wood so when the spade bit come through the other side it continues to drill. Just a small way into it. This will reduce the wood splitting as it breaks through the other side.
I considered this - but achieved a different way. Once you're through the outer skin, stop drilling. Now get a thin / long bit and drill a pilot hole through the centre of the existing hole, from the outside through the insulation and inner plastic skin. (We are talking about a fridge here, right?) Once the pilot hole is through, re-attach the spade bit and drill from the inside out using the pilot hole as the centre for the spade. Nice tidy hole on the inside and the outside.

I have the intertaps.

I used a 22mm spade bit. Perfect fit.

Drill a small pilot hole and then go really slow on the drill, like 0.5-1 revolution to second otherwise it rips a big hole in your Fridge door.

I was lucky as I practised on an old fridge door before letting loose on my kegerator

Ah, sorry, my mistake. For some reason I assumed that you were drilling through the wooden collar of a keezer.
I’ve no idea what that bit will do against the side of a fridge, I think they are for wood but someone on here would have tried it.
Good luck.
I considered this - but achieved a different way. Once you're through the outer skin, stop drilling. Now get a thin / long bit and drill a pilot hole through the centre of the existing hole, from the outside through the insulation and inner plastic skin. (We are talking about a fridge here, right?) Once the pilot hole is through, re-attach the spade bit and drill from the inside out using the pilot hole as the centre for the spade. Nice tidy hole on the inside and the outside.

I used a hole saw on mine which was designed for metal and wood (can't remember the size). Fridges are made from wafer thin metal anyway so it goes through pretty easily, it's insulation and plastic after that so easily conquered. Seem to remember my hole came up slightly small but a minute or so with a Dremel soon sorted it. The shank was a snug fit then.

Back