What sort of gas line do you use?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phildo79

Reaction score
Hi folks

This will be more of a question for those that keg. When I bought my first keg, I bought a complete beginners set (minus the gas) from The Malt Miller. No complaints with any of the stuff but I found the gas line to be far too rigid. It was about 2 meters long and would wrap around the gas tank or keg but if you were fiddling around with it and dropped it, you'd think the thing was on springs. It would go haywire.

I ended up buying coiled tubing, which works a treat as it's flexible and stretchy, but the diameter of the coil is on the large side. I could see there being some issues if I wanted to attach a second coiled line (which I have) to have two kegs hooked up at the same time (I keep my kegs and gas inside the fridge). So far it hasn't been an issue but I would love a short piece of gas line that is really soft, thin and flexible. Does such a thing exist? I had to get my gas topped up yesterday and spotted all the different types of tubing the guy was selling. I asked him if he had anything that would suit my needs but he was as confused as I am as to whether such a thing exists. I have seen YouTube videos from homebrewers in the States and a lot of them seem to have this soft, flexible gas line. Any ideas?

3/16" line is what I use for gas and beer for the same reason that I need to pack it in to quite a tight space. Of course I have to use reducers at the ends because all disconnects and regulator fittings are 3/8" but that's just a couple of inches.

... I would love a short piece of gas line that is really soft, thin and flexible.
I'd have thought such a thing would not be suitable since we are dealing with pressurised gas. I must admit I just use the more rigid (but still somewhat flexible) gas/beer lines sold at places such as MM. I'm not clear on what the problem is you are having with this tubing. Could you explain why you don't want to use it?

I'd have thought such a thing would not be suitable since we are dealing with pressurised gas. I must admit I just use the more rigid (but still somewhat flexible) gas/beer lines sold at places such as MM. I'm not clear on what the problem is you are having with this tubing. Could you explain why you don't want to use it?
I found it to bee far too rigid and because I had to coil it around the tank or keg, it was taking up unnecessary room. I just thought it was a faff. This is a lot better but also has its problems with taking up space.
15966180623667334058949080180652.jpg

I found it to bee far too rigid and because I had to coil it around the tank or keg, it was taking up unnecessary room.
Couldn’t you have just trimmed it so you didn’t need to wrap it around the keg? I have one of these Tube Cutter 2 In 1 and it’s great.

I’ve only had my kegerator for a week and a half but I’ve used the 3/8 grey rigid gas line that came as part of the BKT kit and cut it to size. Tank is outside the kegerator and I run about a metre from the reg to the drain hole, then have a length of around 20cm 3/16 line through the drain hole into the fridge and back to 3/8 for another couple of feet at the other side to the keg.

I did consider trimming it but it was so rigid, you actually needed the length to give it a modicum of flexibility to switch the disconnect from keg to keg, depending which one you wanted to use. Space is a premium in my fridge. If I had a bigger one, it would be less of an issue.

Would be worried about pressure rating with thinner more flexible line and also being solid enough for your JG fittings to grab.

Would suggest 3/16 line instead.

Hmmm, I have some 3/16 line and the push fittings for it. I might have a tinker around and see what I can come up with.

Would syphon tubing work? Maybe not with JC push fitting but barbed with a hose clip?

I've got that standard light grey stuff tube.

But also some red rubbery plastic stuff that's very flexible. It's a bit see through. I don't know if it can be used with JG fittings though.

Hmmm, I have some 3/16 line and the push fittings for it. I might have a tinker around and see what I can come up with.

Would syphon tubing work? Maybe not with JC push fitting but barbed with a hose clip?
Wouldn't use siphon tube as likely to be silicone which doesn't hold gas well.

Oh man, I feel your pain. I started a similar thread a wee while back because I hate how rigid the grey tubing is. I don't like how it feels like it's putting pressure on the JG fittings if it's not angled right.

I think someone suggested EVAbarrier tubing to me. I never got around to trying it.

For gas (not liquid) I use polyurethane like the pneumatics guys. Which you know 'cos we've had this conversation? I use 6mm generally (4mm ID), but might use 8mm for bus lines to prevent mixing them up. Comes in other sizes and loads of colours, including red!

Pneumatics also use nylon, but that is stiff and rigid like MDPE.

It's probably too soft for JG fittings, but I use pneumatic fittings which are cheaper, metal, and a whole lot more secure.

For gas (not liquid) I use polyurethane like the pneumatics guys. Which you know 'cos we've had this conversation?
Sounds vaguely familiar. I use the pneumatic stuff too (10mm OD). Tight squeeze to get it into a 3/8 JC fitting but that's nothing compared to trying to get it out again! I seen the orange/red version and really wanted it but the black version was about half the price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-x-5m...481a8417ade1775d4a75|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524

Latest posts

Back