What the hell is this?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
b89837f8a61c660c9e668aaca2e136f3.png

Nip down your HBS and get one of these to test it [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chippie would you ???????

Defiantly not. :sick:

I recently had something called a "Vinegar Mother" grow in a bottle of vinegar, i was told it was still OK to drink, i binned it.

Mine was not as bad as this but it put me off using it.

1297712626877_ORIGINAL.jpg

Haha joke around what you like, but 3 out of 4 of you guys probably has it in their mouth. To ruin your evening, walk to the bathroom mirror and check if you have some yellowish stuff on the back of your tongue.

You're welcome.

To be honest, i'd still try it. Chances are it's perfectly fine. Or well, depending how that brew got infected. It's harmless unless you have AIDS.

With regards to the mother of vinegar, that's indeed perfectly safe. You can use that acetobacter aceti colony to inocculate cider or wine to make your own vinegar. Premium vinegars sometimes deliberately have it intact (undistilled cider vinegar). Basically the same idea as reusing yeast cake from brews.

But vinegar OK to drink? You Brits are strange people ;)

But vinegar OK to drink? You Brits are strange people ;)

The woman who drinks two bottles of VINEGAR a week:

Make-up artist, 19, claims her cravings are so bad she has to keep sachets in her handbag
Ella Ginn says she has loved the acidic condiment since childhood
Says cravings would make her take emergency sachets from restaurants
Claims she sips it from wine glass as it 'glugging it down' hurts her chest
Nutritionist says health implications unclear but acidity can damage teeth

31814CAF00000578-0-image-m-15_1456310989920.jpg

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...avings-bad-sachets-handbag.html#ixzz4QOdGXhPR
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Not the WOW factor, Chlamydia and apple juice. Lollllll!!!!

pmsl, I near spat my beer out and the wife just gave me funny look there.

I then read the replies and even she bust out laughing.............. awsome .:thumb:

pmsl, I near spat my beer out and the wife just gave me funny look there.

I then read the replies and even she bust out laughing.............. awsome .:thumb:

This does have to be one of the best chuckle threads on this forum !!

i would love to test her with my hydrometer and if she gave the correct response , go on and bottle her :lol: she would make a nice full bodied drink with plenty of mouth feel :lol:

Let it be a fair warning to the people that start the siphon by sucking on it ;) there are lots of nasty things growing in your mouth. It's all good when it's on your skin or in your mouth/nose.. but there's at least 20 pathogens that are extremely common.

Haha this brightened up my day 😃😃😃

And no, I wouldn't drink the cider with 'the growth' in it 😯

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sooooo are you telling me I've gave my cider thrush? but I don't have thrush and I haven't siphoned it yet lol its still in the demijohn(well it was its down the drain now haha). The only thing I can think off that would be like thrush is my son had bacterial nappy rash for a few days around about the same time I put it on, but I sterilize everything and scrub my hands before I start. Pretty disappointed about the entire thing at least we got a few laughs out of it lol I'll have to take a good look at my sterilisation practices

Haha no worries, even if you work very hygienically you can still have contamination (even in a clean room with laminar airflow you do get surprises once in a while). Micro organisms are called micro because they are so damn tiny. A speck of dust, a dead skin cell like dandruff, a droplet of saliva from your breath.. all can be a source of contamination. Usually they don't take hold, but if they have the proper climate one cell can thrive. That's the fun thing. At the start you have 1 cell, then 2, then 4, 8, 16.... 2.097.152, 4.194.304... And boom! Your dandruff gave your brew an STD, because that lady in the queue at TESCO standing next to you sneezed. Let's not go into details how that candida ended up in her mouth. In short **** HAPPENS.

The most common food pathogens, for example s. aureus, e. coli and s. enterica are on everone's skin. They won't make you sick, but if you prepare food for example.. the s. aureus can grow on your food. You won't see it at first, as you need millions of bacteria to make something look spoiled BUT the toxins that are produced by the bacteria will not get destroyed by cooking. The result? Common food poisoning.

When brewing, your wort isn't the most friendly environment for bacteria but it's great for fungi. When brewing yeast starts fermenting, the byproducts of the fermentation "ruin" the environment in such a way it's unlikely to be contaminated by other micro organisms (hence why we historically ferment things). So just work hygienically and you should be fine. A common misconception in brewing is that the CO² (sometimes called "CO² blanket") produced by the yeast prevents aerobic pathogens, but in reality the aerated wort contains more than sufficient oxygen to let most fungi thrive. Also, if some pathogens do end up in your brew.. they are unlikely to infect your brew, simply because they get fought of by the (strong) culture of yeast that's already growing in the medium. That also explains why super sterile newbies do infect their brew (open fermenter and peek how it's going, measure the SG every 10 minutes etc) and less hygienically working (time is money!!) experienced brewers never have issues.

So in order to do a successful brew;
- Work hygienically (wash your hands thoroughly - especially the sides of your fingers and nails, sanitize EVERYTHING that comes into contact with your brew)
- Limit the amount of dust when working with cooled wort (don't brew outside when the air is bursting with pollen for example; great source of contamination)
- Make the environment as good as possible for the yeast you are using (i.e. correct temperature, pH, aerate etc) to make sure it gets a good start.
- Do not peek to often, everytime you open your fermenter the overpressure of the CO² surges out and partially gets replaced with fresh air (again inevitably containing dust particles)

Was it a glass dj? The cap you are using for the dj looks like the problem source for infection, looks difficult to clean. You're better off using a rubber bung with a hole in it and put the airlock in that. Problem with plastic is that you get micro scratches when cleaning and can carry an infection as micro air bubbles protect it when sterilising. Say all that, farmer cider makers would have stuck their glove in and just took it out and you'd have drunk it and been none the wiser for it.

so this all got me a little freaked out that I may have somehow caught an STD even though I've been with the same woman for 8 years, I went on the NHS website and had a look it turns out I may actually have oral thrush which is really common and although can be passed sexually is not an STD (thank the lord) you can catch it from cups, sharing food, kissing people goodbye etc. so I'm going to the chemist tomorrow to have it looked at. so yeah it looks like PFEFFER may have been right. that weird ass thing growing in the brew was probably a yeast infection haha

:-?:-o:lol:

This has got to be the first time someone on this forum has gave their cider thrush though, so I'm gonna take some sort of pride in that lol

Latest posts

Back