What' the most memorable (not necessarily in a good way) pub you've ever drunk in...?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was in a pub in the saltmarket in glasgow which was a bit of a dive (but the pints were exceedingly keenly priced).
strangely there was a queue for the gents so i joined said queue. after quite some time i reached the front and found that the toilet didn't have a toilet or any urinals. people were queuing to relieve themselves in the single sink 😬
(and no, i did not).
this was 20 years ago and i can't actually remember the name of the pub but i remember it had a nautical themed title. i do hope it is no longer providing such exquisite facilities.
Staggering to imagine that public health officials permitted a pub to operate without a proper toilet, 20 years ago or not...

A few years ago...my first and only visit to date,on a pissup round Liverpool...the Penny Farthing by the station...great crowd,great beer but advised not to sit on certain seats and the toilet floors were like tacky mats!

The Kingfisher, Slough - underground pub, literally underneath Slough High Street. Moved away, moved back, visited again - access staircase had been concreted/paved over when they re-did the Queensmere shopping centre. No idea if they filled it in or if it's still down there, compete with dusty pint glasses on the tables, Marie Celeste-style.

The Crown Bar down an alley off the main street in Fraserburgh. Sawdust on the floor, no windows and no ladies toilets. Was glad to drink up quickly and leave. Ended up in the Balaclava bar which wasn't much better. Having an English accent didn't help the atmosphere either when you're surrounded by fishermen from North East Scotland.

Last edited:
Haymarket Station Bar in Edinburgh,long gone now for station redevelopment.
I was 16 and my first pint of Guinness,and in a pint pot with a handle,which seemed very adult at the time.
Going to Glasgow to watch football with mates and decided we would go to the pub first,somebody asked what I wanted and "Guinness in a handled pint glass" was my reply.Still remember it like was yesterday.Pub was packed with footy fans so went got under the radar.

The worst was a pub down Easter Road also Edinburgh,about 10 year after the above.
Pint of Guinness again,well I say Guinness the barrel was obviously watered down.Bar man had keep moving glass up and down to get a few bubbles as a poor excuse for a head.That was a sharp exit without paying or sampling the muck advertised as Guinness.

Also Robertson's Bar on Georgie Road Edinburgh a stone's throw from Hearts f.c stadium.Left pint on bar and went to toilet,came back and a woman of about 70 with hardly any hair or teeth was drinking my pint!!

Probably Nicks,have had that before in other pubs in Edinburgh but she was freakiest of the lot.Turned to speak to a mate in one bar and another younger female done the same and said "cheers mate" and kept drinking.
Some decent bars are available in Edinburgh when can get back in them .

Went to an old pub in Beverly near Hull called White horse, or something like that but most call it Mary's even the tourist office did. Its a really old place with lots of small rooms with benches and stone floors.
Is that Nelly's the Sam Smith's?

One in York springs to mind...I think it was called The Old Snickleway Inn...almost entirely dark wood throughout inside,very old,little booths to sit in...had to go out the back to find the toilets...
Another in York...can't remember the name at the moment... blue tiled wall outside...it was the Bluebell Inn...old Georgian place with two small rooms separated by the bar..

I love this thread. It's funny to read how many poor pubs people remember going into. I'd bet you'd go back again if you could 😁

I'll drop one into the mix. I can't remember the name now but there used to be a pub in Birmingham New Street station on the concourse. A bit of a dive, probably more of a place for a quick jar before the train. There were no toilets in there though so when the time came, it was a walk down to the toilets futher down the concourse where you have to pay 20p or whatever it was to go in through the turnstiles.

Last edited:
Back