What' the most memorable (not necessarily in a good way) pub you've ever drunk in...?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll be pleased to know that at last check, Ye old axe was still in operation, covid19 not included, although the locals keep trying to get it closed, whenever I pass there is the solitary doorman sat on his stool even at 1pm in the afternoon.

Also have frequented the Lescar hotel many many times when I lived in Sheffield.
good pub for the football back in the 90's.

Not been back to the Lescar since 97ish when after a particularly robust Sunday lunch up in Appleby my missus drove us down to Sheffield and either down to car sickness or their BOGOF red wine offer I was violently ill in the lounge bar at about 5 in the afternoon. Barman pretty much just shrugged his shoulders like it was commonplace - he was a chinese fellow IIRC

I will start a place in Germany, the Rob Halford bar in Berlin, off the ma
The Spread Eagle, in Manchester, sticks in my mind just for its name. Used to go in there before a night in Rock World, or Jilly's, as it was.
But probably the best current pub has to be the Pigs Nose in East Prawle. Crackers decor, fab Landlord, crazy stuff everywhere, live bands, anything goes but everyone behaves. Kinda perfect!
Spent many a good night Jilly's & sometimes Satan's Hallow..

Got spoiled for choice early on being a Stourbridge lad that worked in The Black Country. Bloke I worked with used to take inside sales staff to Ma Pardoe's or The Bull and Bladder on a Friday. Didn't get much done of a Friday afternoon!

Giffard Arms, Wolves. Angels' pub and a mod decided to call in for a pint. On finishing and going outside he found his Vespa transformed into a kit

The 5am bar/hotel(?) by the market for a full English and a pint after a full-on night

Some upstairs place in Chapel Ash that served food FROM about 1am and didn't have a licence *coff* - pimps and girls hangout

Cool gay bar/club nearby run by a couple of lesbians (before it was trendy)

So a usual going for it night was pub 'til 11pm, club 'til 2/3am, Chapel Ash for a curry and a bit more to drink, then the market for more beers and breakfast then on to somewhere near the Civic Hall for Tennent's Extra

Or...

The Barley Mow, Kirk Ireton in the depths of winter. Walking about half a mile in low mist, the kind that swirls around your thighs so it looks like you're wading. Orangey street light so really cool spooky feeling. Walking into the pub and every head turning and getting that American werewolf in London vibe

The 'Unicorn Hotel' on Church St. Manchester, for the folk club - run by Harry Boardman. Then on to 'The Hole in the Wall' Jazz club for late night drinking & pie & chips - great Saturday night out!

a usual going for it night was pub 'til 11pm, club 'til 2/3am, Chapel Ash for a curry and a bit more to drink, then the market for more beers and breakfast then on to somewhere near the Civic Hall for Tennent's Extra
blimey I salute your stamina... no way I could have managed that agenda even in my yoof!

blimey I salute your stamina... no way I could have managed that agenda even in my yoof!
A long, long, long time ago... mind you it took a fortnight for both the body and the bank account to recover as I was a poor, struggling ex-student at the time

Giffard Arms, Wolves. Angels' pub and a mod decided to call in for a pint. On finishing and going outside he found his Vespa transformed into a kit

The 5am bar/hotel(?) by the market for a full English and a pint after a full-on night

Some upstairs place in Chapel Ash that served food FROM about 1am and didn't have a licence *coff* - pimps and girls hangout

Cool gay bar/club nearby run by a couple of lesbians (before it was trendy)

So a usual going for it night was pub 'til 11pm, club 'til 2/3am, Chapel Ash for a curry and a bit more to drink, then the market for more beers and breakfast then on to somewhere near the Civic Hall for Tennent's Extra
The Giffard was my pub in the pre Angel era 1972 to 1975 but the most memorable pub was The Trumpet Bislton with Holdens beers and Reg Keirle on piano plus combo.

The Giffard was my pub in the pre Angel era 1972 to 1975 but the most memorable pub was The Trumpet Bislton with Holdens beers and Reg Keirle on piano plus combo.
Posada on match days?

Oh and one of those terrifying flat-roofed no-windows council estate pubs in Heath Town. Working as a photographer during one of the many mini-riots, ducked in as it was getting a bit intense. Only white faces in there and my colleague pulled out his police-style notebook. An "interesting" few minutes...

Last edited:
I remember quite a few rough pubs in the Bradford district back in the day. It's so long ago I can't remember their names but the memory of the interior in them remains.
One up by the university had spittoons on the floor in the taproom. It was floorboards & had sawdust strewn all over the floor.
The landlord used to just clean out like a stables at the end of the day.
There was another one in Eccleshill where not just the carpet would stick to your feet but the seats too.
The best real pub is at the bottom of baildon, The junction pub. They have a real ale brewery in the cellar & some of those brews are the nicest I've ever tasted. The locals all know each other & my family have drunk in there for 4 generations. A pint of the pubs finest homebrew is less than £2. Saltaire Blonde is brewed just around the corner too.

We lived near Maidstone at the end of the 60’s. Anyone remember a pub out in the countryside
(Ringling Arms?) run by two alleged “witches” who had to be included in any conversation you
had? Or the Cellars in Tenterton, foreign money and other dubious objects stuck to the ceiling?
Or the Windmill, Hollingbourne, Kent. Ladies loo had a naked man statue covered with a figleaf
on a hinge. If the figleaf was lifted an alarm sounded in the bar?

Sadly (or possibly) happily I don’t have any real horror stories. I was rather found of the Ale House in Reading, what I hadn‘t being aware of until about a year ago was it was considered a metal head pub (it was only when I was commenting to someone at work about the excellent beer their that her response was the metal head pub), which would probably explain the large number of bearded long haired men with lots of leather alongside Metallica and similar t-shirts. Its still a rather nice pub, lots of small wooden cubby holes to sit in, half a dozen cask ales, mead, cider and perry on tap, and their bottled beer is Westmalle dubbel rather than Becks.

Sadly (or possibly) happily I don’t have any real horror stories. I was rather found of the Ale House in Reading, what I hadn‘t being aware of until about a year ago was it was considered a metal head pub (it was only when I was commenting to someone at work about the excellent beer their that her response was the metal head pub), which would probably explain the large number of bearded long haired men with lots of leather alongside Metallica and similar t-shirts. Its still a rather nice pub, lots of small wooden cubby holes to sit in, half a dozen cask ales, mead, cider and perry on tap, and their bottled beer is Westmalle dubbel rather than Becks.
Been in there a few times, always enjoyed it.

Do you go in the Nags Head? Haven't been able to get to it in a while but must make another trip when lockdown is over.

Been in there a few times, always enjoyed it.

Do you go in the Nags Head? Haven't been able to get to it in a while but must make another trip when lockdown is over.
I haven’t I tend to only be in Reading when I’m going to the Hexagon. That said I had a quick look at their website and safe to say as long as they are still open next year I will be making a trip their.

The previously mentioned Sea Lion in Stoke eventually got taken over by a gent who started his own micro brewery in the cellar. He brewed a half decent pint.

He was a bit of a strange character and had a permanent joke for new young male clients.

As he was getting their drink he ask if they were from a random district in Stoke. When he got a positive response he’d ask them “Do you know Vic Burns?”

If the young lad said “No”, which invariably they did.

He‘d reply “Well it does if you rub it on your bo****ks”.

I was living in Australia, when I got the call that my mam had days left to live. She'd had cancer for some time, so this was not unexpected. I flew back, and got home to South Wales.

One night, just for nostalgia's sake I visited what used to be Mam and dad’s local, back when I was a small kid. I’d never set foot in it before. I decided to visit there in honour of mam and dad.

The place smelled bad. The landlord, a fat greasy person, poured me a pint of Felinfoel, took my money, gave me change, all without uttering word. The only other people in there were two aging crones, (one of whom turned up at mam's funeral,) who were sharing a bottle of cheap wine, and a dog who had it’s own bed on the sofa there.

The place was an utter hole, my pint was foul.

After about thirty minutes a group of men of the “tattooed skinhead f**kwit” variety came in. They were all drinking bottled lager, a salutary warning I would have liked before ordering the pint. Their conversations were of the; “I f*king told the f**king w**ker that if the f**king c**t didn’t f**king sharpen the f**k up I’d f**king f**k the s**thead. That told him!”

They hastened my leaving.

Utterly abysmal.

Seeing Geoff Hurst on TV reminded me of a memorable occasion when I visited the Royal Oak Eccleshall in 1978 which he then owned. The man himself served me and for some reason took the mickey out of my accent which took me aback a bit but still it enables me to say he spoke to me!

i was in a pub in the saltmarket in glasgow which was a bit of a dive (but the pints were exceedingly keenly priced).
strangely there was a queue for the gents so i joined said queue. after quite some time i reached the front and found that the toilet didn't have a toilet or any urinals. people were queuing to relieve themselves in the single sink 😬
(and no, i did not).
this was 20 years ago and i can't actually remember the name of the pub but i remember it had a nautical themed title. i do hope it is no longer providing such exquisite facilities.

Back