What to brew to use up these hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zephyr259

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've got maybe 2 brews left before I take a break over the summer and figure it's best to use up my open packs of hops rather than open some of the new ones.

I currently have 25g each of Galaxy, Glacier and Columbus and 125g of Styrian Goldings. I've also got some Admiral for bittering but I always have some of that open so not too fussed about it. The Columbus and Goldings have been open 6 months, the rest were opened within the last 2-3 months, kept in the freezer.

What would you brew with this? I was leaning towards an ale and a lager so my idea had been a bitter with admiral and glacier then a lager with the Goldings but then I'm not sure what to do with the galaxy.

I've got malt and yeast to do most things.

Thanks.

The Columbus (for bittering) and galaxy (for flavour and aroma) should make a nice fruity APA / IPA

Might mix the Columbus and Galaxy and use them both late, 50g total over the last 10 - 15 mins should be good in 15 - 23L. I had been thinking of bittering with Columbus then using the galaxy and glacier together late but was worried the galaxy would over power the glacier.

Right, current plan is to make an American style pale/amber, the "Make your best..." articles suggest using and ounce each of 3 different hops at 20, 10 and 0 minutes, so I'm thinking 25g Columbus at 20 min, 25g Glacier at 10 min and 25g Galaxy at 0 min. In a 1.045 wort that gets me 30 IBU which make the specs very similar to my recent Nelson/Galaxy pale which is very tasty.

I've been trying to use up 4kg of dark munich which was sent crushed instead of whole; 53% pale, 41% munich, 6% medium crystal gets me to 19 ebc, without the crystal it's 14 so more of an actual pale ale, so just trying to decide if the crystal is a good plan now.

Well this beer turned out great. I had less munich than i remembered so used 500g of Imperial malt in addition to the crystal and it's a nice pale amber colour with a very fresh and fruity hop flavour. It got 2 weeks fermenting then 1 week cold as I got ill and lazy, been in the bottle about 9 days. Not quite fully carbed but at a level I could have deliberately aimed for and very pleasant to drink. I'm going to experiment more with these fruitier hops from now on as that's 2 brews where they've been very tasty if the IBUs are kept to around 30 or so.

Back