What to Brew with Yeast Bay Brett Super Blend?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zephyr259

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi folks, looking for some advice and opinions.

I recently got 2 vials of brett, Brett Clausenii and Yeast Bay Amalgam / brett super blend. I'm going to use the Brett C with an old ale in secondary, this should work fine as I'm expecting an fg in the 1.020s so there will be plenty for the brett to chew on. Pitching into secondary also has the advantage of keeping my equipment brett-free until it comes to package from the carboy and means I can brew a 23L batch, bottle half clean and age half with brett for comparison.

But I'm a bit stuck on what to do with the amalgam. I'm thinking a saison, but pitching into secondary might be less effective with the usual low fg and pitching with the sacch strain in primary would be better but then it more or less dedicates that FV to funky beers which I may not carry on with. Greg Hughes' Biere de Garde looks tasty and expect to finish at 1.1014, which might be enough for the brett to give some character as I've read they don't actually need to attenuate much to create flavours.

Yeasts I have on hand to brew the base beer with are as follows: Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale, Wyeast 1214 Belgian Ale (Chimay), Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire, Voss and Strandadalen Kveiks. I also have some sour dregs built up in a 500 ml starter and a few bottles of various sour beers for additional dregs.

Any thoughts or experiences to share?
Thanks

After some pondering and a lot of maths I think I'm going to brew a partigyle batch. Splitting the runnings in half, the first half will be a Tripel, the recipe is from CSI's version of Tripel Karmeliet which is made from pilsner malt, flaked barley, malted and unmalted wheat and oats so it should also make a decent saison from the 2nd runnings.

Going to pitch this brett blend in with the farmhouse ale yeast to get a dry and funky saison around 5 - 6% depending on how far it attenuates. Might also sour it but I'm undecided on that part and need to see if my sour starter is ok first.

Latest posts

Back