What to do when there's no fizz

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Edwards

Reaction score
I've made a bitter and all has gone well, so far... I've transferred the beer to my pressure barrel and added some spray malt.

Now I think I didn't put enough petroleum jelly around the tap after sanitisation. This has resulted in about 200ml leaking from around the tap.

However there's zero sign of any sort of carbonation, I mean like zero. I've tasted it and it tastes lovely, all be it with no bubbles or any discernable head. I think it might have been because I used spray malt instead of a brewers sugar for a primer...But it looks like it's not had any effect.

Any help or tricks to rectify? I could carbonate it using a sparkler given that it's a valve topped key????

Does the gas valve have a little prong in the middle? If so you can use the CO2 bulbs with the screw key thing. If not, it is designed to take the larger CO2 cylinders, which are more economical in the long run. Adding CO2 artificially like this will have the same effect as the yeast creating the CO2 in the beer. Listen after you have added the CO2, you may hear the pressure escaping if the seal is not tight.

If you can try to open and seal the tap while balancing it on its side you could add some sugar at the same time but spray malt should have worked unless there is another leak.

Assuming your PB has a 2" cap and if you need to sort out a leaking tap seal move the PB onto its side so that the tap is uppermost. Open the tap to vent, then remove tap. Clean up, a couple of turns of PTFE tape on the tap thread but no more, thin smear vaseline on the seal and replace and tighten but not too tight.
If your PB has a 4" cap then it is likely to have an internal backing nut which may just need tightening. So you can either drain the PB, or do what I would do scrub up one arm, hands and finger nails, sanitise the lot then plunge into the beer and tighten up the nut as required.
For the cap leak try this
Guide to a Standard Home Brew Pressure Barrel
When you think you have fixed it either reprime or gas up. Latter will quickly tell you whether it still leaks. If you just reprime make sure to check after a few days that the PB is repressurising
Hope you fix it.
And I would use table sugar for priming, its cheap, it dissolves easily and its predictable. Any contribution to taste by your LME priming will have been negligible.

Cheers for all the suggestions. The pressure keg is the newer sort that doesn't have a tap screw on the interior of the barrel. The barrel wall has a thicker area around the tap hole with a thread. So I've put fresh petroleum jelly on the tap screw and the valve lid. The other element is that I had used a hop bag and added some Citra for last week.

So do I:
  1. Remove Citra bag, add some sugar.
  2. Remove Citra bag, carbonate using Co2
  3. Leave in Citra bag, add some sugar
  4. Leave in Citra bag, carbonate using Co2
Appreciate all your advice and really appreciate having some know-how on tap...pardon the pun.

So, I got the petroleum jelly out. Coated the top valve lid thread and then rocked the keg, using PTFE tape and petroleum jelly.

I then gave it a good manhandle and checked for obvious leaks and there were none. I then pressurised the keg using a sparkler via the valve up top. I do get some venting around the top lid, despite it being on very tight...I literally couldn't get it tighter. Is it just venting the excess? I've noticed that the thread on the top of the keg, has an inch vertical cutout front and rear. This seems to be where there is some hissing. Is that right?

Tightening the top cap as tight as you can get it might not be the best as it can warp the rubber washer. You want to do it tight enough to make a good seal but not too much more.

If it was just a short hiss or squeaky fart that you heard it's probably just venting. If it was much more than that or especially if it continued after they canister was empty then it's more likely to indicate leaking.

Maybe leave for an hour or two and tip back so the tap is at the top, then gently open a small amount. If there is a continual stream that works suggest it's keeping pressure.

It will help if you tell us what sort of PB you have. Post a few piccies better still.
The cap to PB seal is usually achieved tightening the cap down onto a rubber O ring or washer. If that doesn't seal properly you lose gas, simple. Putting vaseline and/or PTFE tape on the PB to cap threads will do little to keep gas in, so don't waste your time. If it is a 2" cap, the best way to get a seal is to check the flat rubber 'washer' is in good order, thin smear of vaseline on .the mating surface, then tighten to the point at which it all just comes together, then one quarter turn, and no more.. Any more and the washer may get distorted and you lose the seal.

Latest posts

Back