What type of wine cork?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yaheen

Reaction score
So I’ve got two types of wine close to being finished, one is elderflower that I started in may and a wild blaeberry that I started around about June I think. I’ve done a hydrometer test on the latter and it is 0.994! It is by far the driest wine I’ve made to date. Anyway I was looking online for corks and saw there is a few different types (standard, premium, super and tapered) they all have the exact same description so I’m interested to know if anybody knows the difference or which is best. Search Results
All the best, Cheers:hat:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 53
I've been using tapered corks for everything for a couple of years now (beer which I invariably store upright) and wine (mostly mead) which are almost all stored on their sides in racks, it was a bit hit and miss to begin with, finding the perfect cork that wouldn't simply work it's way out and end up soaking the place with escaped wine (that has happened a few times) and that would be easy enough to remove by hand but while still looking the part.

If I'm intending to keep whatever it is bottled for a long time, then I'll use my ancient corking machine and some regular corks, I did try one of those fancy modern double lever contraptions but I couldn't get along with it.

Back