What type of wire for a kettle element?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gudders

Reaction score
I have created my own ebiab kettle using two Tesco kettle elements. It works fine no issues however swmbo would like it done somewhere else but I am limited.

I do not want to run both elements off a drum extension due to the risk which im told is quite high due to the length of the boil and heating strike water.

What type of wire do I need? I've googled 3 core 13amp cable but I get lots of different diameters. I have a Toolstation screwfix b&q all near by

I will also need an umbrella as it looks like I'll be outside 😂

Thanks.

This flex at Toolstation will be fine for up to 3kw elements with a 1.5mtr lead but don't go running both of an extension reel as they are nominally rated at 10amp max load current fully unwound as depending on the element size of 2.4kw or 3kw they will be drawing between 5kw to 6kw depending on your electrical supply.
Be careful as I hate DIY electrical as some don't realise the danger involved.

Just to clarify then mate, is 1.5mtr the max length with that cord? That wont get me out side. I probably need 4-5mtr.
Also, you mentioned not to run both of an extension reel would 2reels in separate sockets be a safer recommendation?

I'm using the original fused 3pin plug and a ce15 ice hotsocket for both elements and plug them in to separate sockets currently.

Thanks

Separate sockets with hot condition leads and plugs like you're doing now is the best way. Is there any reason why you can't carry on like that but with longer leads?

Just to clarify then mate, is 1.5mtr the max length with that cord? That wont get me out side. I probably need 4-5mtr.
Also, you mentioned not to run both of an extension reel would 2reels in separate sockets be a safer recommendation?

I'm using the original fused 3pin plug and a ce15 ice hotsocket for both elements and plug them in to separate sockets currently.

Thanks
You can attach longer leads to the elements though you may have to upgrade to 2.5mm flex to allow for the current and you can plug both into a 30amp socket outlet.

Separate sockets with hot condition leads and plugs like you're doing now is the best way. Is there any reason why you can't carry on like that but with longer leads?
That is what I want, but wanted to check about which cable is best. I used the old short kettle leads.

Latest posts

Back