What was my OG?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stigman

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am trying to work out what the original gravity of my mead was. Done a few sums and with 4 jars of honey I had 1101g of sugar in a gallon dj. I'm stuck now anybody know how to calculate this?

Honey apparently averages 35 ppg, so assuming 340g jars you had 3 lbs of honey in 4.5 L, 35 x 3 = 105 / 1.18 (US to UK gal) = 89 so 1.089 sg.

My experience has shown that 1 jar (340g) of honey in 5 L gives 20 points, so maybe the above is an over-estimate.

Good luck.

Going of the numbers on the jars total sugars gives me 1101g. this into 4.5L Brewers friend says 1.094 as cane sugar or invert. FG is. 998 so that's 12.6%*abv not bad for bread yeast and a pinch of nutrient.

Going of the numbers on the jars total sugars gives me 1101g. this into 4.5L Brewers friend says 1.094 as cane sugar or invert. FG is. 998 so that's 12.6%*abv not bad for bread yeast and a pinch of nutrient.

I've used bread yeast in beer and it works just fine (I'm sure the "bready flavour" of the beer was psychosomatic) but I'm not sure that it will survive in a mead that is expected to reach 12.6% ABV.

If it doesn't ferment out completely I suspect that the mead will be sickly sweet and therefore recommend using a strain of yeast that can go up to +/-14%. :thumb:

I've used bread yeast in beer and it works just fine (I'm sure the "bready flavour" of the beer was psychosomatic) but I'm not sure that it will survive in a mead that is expected to reach 12.6% ABV.

If it doesn't ferment out completely I suspect that the mead will be sickly sweet and therefore recommend using a strain of yeast that can go up to +/-14%. :thumb:

It's all ready there Dutton took a gravity reading last night and it's rather nice if not a bit raw just yet. I can't remember when I started it of must be about two months ago now. I never done a mead before and I just followed Joe's Ancient Orange Mead recipe online.

Latest posts

Back