What Wine recipe ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Landlord.
Reaction score
What I like:-
  • Fleurrie
  • Good Merlot
  • Chardonnay
Not sweet, not too dry, not much Oak but with some reasonable body.

I prefer red wine but chilled the Chardonnay is nice in summer.

I have all the common wine making equipment, including a Harris filter, demijohns, airlocks and so on the rest being shared from my beer brewing equipment.

I've never been successful with wine the last one I did was a juice (pineapple) wine and when I poured it down the drain the rats fled the country!
I think I've asked before however as summer approaches I'd like to try again.

If I'm to go to a lot of trouble for just 6 bottles, I bottled 42 beers yesterday, I want something good whether it's a juice wine or a country wine.

I know I can't do a good red without fermenting on the skins but within that limit what recipe can you recommend?

Thanks All. aamcle

Give this a go its from the first post here -
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...ne-how-to-guide-and-recipes.49462/post-456519

Rosé wine

1 litre Red grape juice.

1.5 litre Apple Juice.

750g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerine. (optional)

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

IDShot_225x225.jpg
1637778299853.png

Chippy, isn't that just going to make a Rose wine?
I may try it on your recommendation but it's never been a style I particularly enjoy, if I look up a couple of recipes and post them would you be willing to look them over?

Atb. Aamcle

I know I can't do a good red without fermenting on the skins but within that limit what recipe can you recommend
I'm not sure anyone has made an 'easy' red from fruit juice. A few members have tried using dark cherries and dark cherry coulis, with some success.

Chippy, isn't that just going to make a Rose wine?
Yes ☺

I might be better trying a kit, 6 bottles to start with.
My first Kit was a Youngs Merlot Winebuddy. Nice enough product but not a red. Dark Rosè maybe, but not red. These cost in the range of £25-30 (30 bottle). I think you need to pay a little more to get more concentrated red grape juice.

Yes you make a decent red wine from kits, BUT in my opinion you will need to spend in the order of £50 for 30 bottles. I've tried Beaverdale, On The House, VineCo and WinExpert for reds and whites and they easily match £5 supermarket offerings. Why not try a 6 bottle decent kit and see what you like? That's why I did when I returned to homebrew and then moved on to 30 bottle. What I would say though is that in my experience the 30 bottle kits make a better wine, probably just fermenting and maturing in bulk makes a better wine.

Yep, I'm making wine from 100% red grape juice at the moment & I am expecting it to come out as somewhere between a dark rose & light red simply because juice doesn't give you the little extra omph you would get from the grape skins.

Yep, I'm making wine from 100% red grape juice at the moment & I am expecting it to come out as somewhere between a dark rose & light red simply because juice doesn't give you the little extra omph you would get from the grape skins.
I made one with 100% Red Grape Juice from Sainbury's. 5 ltrs of juice and no water. Came out a dark red, darker than a dark Rose. Matured in bottle for 16 months and was very drinkable. Better than i expected, will be making it again. Please let us know how yours turns out.
I am going to try Chippy_Tea Rose wine recipe as sounds good and i like a Rose.

Last edited:
It's turned out OK at bottling time.
Tastes like inexpensive red wine.
What I would describe as a lightweight red similar to Italian style.

Tastes OK, comparable to £4 cheap supermarket stuff, but will leave a little longer in the bottle.

I would make it again. The only things I added was a little sugar & yeast nutrient.

Attachments

• IMG_20220506_103256.jpg
    IMG_20220506_103256.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 7
It's turned out OK at bottling time.
Tastes like inexpensive red wine.
What I would describe as a lightweight red similar to Italian style.

Tastes OK, comparable to £4 cheap supermarket stuff, but will leave a little longer in the bottle.

I would make it again. The only things I added was a little sugar & yeast nutrient.
Was that 100% just juice or a % of water and if so how much. Looks good. Enjoy

Latest posts

Back