What would you ask for?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony C

Reaction score
I mainly brew cider, turbo and aunatural, and wine kits when I can afford them.
But would love to have a go at ale, it's what I drink in the pub.
But haven't brewed beer since the days of Boots being the only place to buy the kits from.
A chat with one of my in-laws came up with the fact he works in a brewery and could get me anything I wanted.

So what would you ask for?
What equipment am I going to need and what would be a good simple recipe to start with?

Cheers TC

A chat with one of my in-laws came up with the fact he works in a brewery and could get me anything I wanted.

So what would you ask for?

I'd ask for a cask of their very finest once a week.

or, even better: The hand of the head brewers daughter.

Joking aside, is it likely they're going to have small-scale ie 20-30 litre batch equipment going begging? They may have hydrometers, testing cylinders and stuff like that, but I would think your outlaw was suggesting malt and hops and yeast. Very much worth having.

Last edited:
If you are going to be extract brewing from kits, I'd definitely suggest asking him what hops, specialty grains and yeast he can get hold of for you.

Sorry, it was the ingredients, not equipment he was offering.

I'd go with a SMASH...Single Malt And Single Hop..
5kg of Maris otter...hops depending on what type of ale you like.... EKG,fuggles in a UK style,or you could do cascade, Amarillo for an American style..the list is endless really.

Definitely some hops; especially if they have some of the more expensive / harder to find stuff, like Citra / Galaxy, and free malt not to be sniffed at either.

Thanks to everyone for their answers, I guess I need to look into what goes into making beer without a kit.
Read some more and then ask more specific questions.

Cheers TC

Latest posts

Back