What would you call this Beer Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
Bit of a user up to a certain extent but what would you call this style of beer
21 ltr brew
OG 1.036 FG 1.009 ABV 3.5 IBU 16.8 EBC 25
Red X 31 ebc 1800g
Rye Malt 7 ebc 1100g
Acid Malt 6 ebc 170g
Carapils 4 ebc 100g
CaraRye 199 ebc 225g
Belgian Special 305 ebc 125g

20g First Gold @15mins
20g First Gold @ 10 mins

Mash 67c for 45 mins

it does drop into a few categories but just wondered what other brewers would call it off the top of their heads?

Bit of a user up to a certain extent but what would you call this style of beer
21 ltr brew
OG 1.036 FG 1.009 ABV 3.5 IBU 16.8 EBC 25
Red X 31 ebc 1800g
Rye Malt 7 ebc 1100g
Acid Malt 6 ebc 170g
Carapils 4 ebc 100g
CaraRye 199 ebc 225g
Belgian Special 305 ebc 125g

20g First Gold @15mins
20g First Gold @ 10 mins

Mash 67c for 45 mins

it does drop into a few categories but just wondered what other brewers would call it off the top of their heads?
This is going to make a first-class example of roggenbier. Enjoy.

Yeast is a big determinant. I'd go with Red* Rye Pale Ale, unless you were to use a yeast that was distinctly German, then @An Ankoù suggestion would be pretty close.

*It might just get there at that ebc.

It looks a nice brew.

The reason I asked was it came out in style as Mild, Roggenbier and Belgian.
Now I am not going to use a Belgian yeast so it was baffling me what style it may be.
Thanks for the re[lies and as usual the thoughts are good.
It is amazing what a user up throws at you so I will call it a Roggenbier me thinks and will report once brewed if it is to my tasteathumb..

The reason I asked was it came out in style as Mild, Roggenbier and Belgian.
Now I am not going to use a Belgian yeast so it was baffling me what style it may be.
Thanks for the re[lies and as usual the thoughts are good.
It is amazing what a user up throws at you so I will call it a Roggenbier me thinks and will report once brewed if it is to my tasteathumb..

I made GH Roggenbier once. His recipe carried more yeast flavours than yours will, IIRC it used a wheat beer type yeast.

Anyway, my only offering is this. Enjoy cleaning the scorch marks off your boiler :thumbsup:

I did this beer with a slight alteration I reduced the Cararye to 135g and upped the Special B a little to 135g too.
It is a low ABV of 3.4 with a malty backbone a dryness on the tongue which is coming from the Rye i think and a little Rye taste if that is how it can be described. Nearest I can say I have had in the past is a Mild but not as dark.
Would i do it again or similar - Yes

Personally, I don't like "style guidelines". I get that is handy to ask in a pub for a mild, or IPA or stout, but for homebrew I really don't care what style it fits into. I just make something that I think will taste nice.

It makes me really sad when I hear of competitions and two beers were tied, but one win because it was "more representative of the style". It just seem to be a pointless exercise in pidgeonholing.

It's The Red Baron.
1652171959199.png

Regarding style guidelines, I've found them a help when I began brewing all grain and making my own recipes.
It takes some of the guesswork out and gives an idea of what you're aiming for.
Since it's for my own consumption I don't take it as concrete and will tweak as required.

Back