What yeast for a Turbo Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryF

Brew Numpty
Reaction score
As soon as my red grape WOW finishes and I have spare couple of demi-johns I'm thinking of having my first crack at a turbo cider. I've been checking it out on the forum and on youtube and I found this video:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwZ5Y3z5Dfg[/ame]

where Brewmaster Ben compares different yeasts having duplicated the TC process with all of them. His opinion is that the Coopers Ale yeast gives the best result. Now, as I happen to have a coopers yeasts hanging around I'm thinking of splitting it between two 4.5ltr very basic TC brews (3.5g each one). I'll be bottling with 1tsp of sugar per 1l bottle as I do want it carbonated. Any ideas or thoughts on this? If there are any especially good "How to" threads anyone knows on TC(I've already grabbed the link put on by fivegoldstars yesterday), or any advice it'll be greatly appreciated.

I use cider yeast. I used wilkos gervin once and it wasn't as nice, too dry. 1tsp of sugar will be fine, that will make it fizzy enough if you condition in the warm for a couple of weeks. Two weeks in the cold and it will be nice, and gets better the longer you leave it.

I use a cider yeast from my local brew shop. Comes in a tub which does a fair few brews for about £3.50.
On the carbonation side, I use 1tsp in a 330ml bottle/2tsp in a 500ml bottle, and I still don't get really fizzy cider. Must be doing something wrong somewhere, but I don't really complain because I usually drink still scrumpy anyway.

in my limited experience garvin ale yeast from wilco works as does S04 and US05, and lots of folk use champagne yeast with great effect tho ive not tried that myself. dont forget the strong mug of tea ;)

It's a toughie as to decide what yeast to use, I'm not sure if it's going to be a case of using what I want or what I've got to hand at the time. I might go with the coopers yeast as I have a couple of spare ones but come the end of the month I want to order some mauribrew's English Ale yeast for brewing over the summer and at that point I think I'll order a couple of packets of Champagne yeast for my future TC brews. Many thanks Matt, Five and Fil, and you're right Fil, I won't forget the strong mug of tea.

I have a couple of TCs on the go and am using WLP775 cider yeast after reading some excellent reviews, had a sneaky taste yesterday when bottling and it is spot on.

I have also been growing it up on the stir plate to stretch it further as it isn't the cheapest.

I prime each of my 500ml bottles with a level 5ml medicine spoon and it work for me.

Good luck and enjoy
:cheers:

I have a couple of TCs on the go and am using WLP775 cider yeast after reading some excellent reviews, had a sneaky taste yesterday when bottling and it is spot on.

I have also been growing it up on the stir plate to stretch it further as it isn't the cheapest.

I prime each of my 500ml bottles with a level 5ml medicine spoon and it work for me.

Good luck and enjoy
:cheers:

Cheers Citizen, I'll grab some WLP775 when I'm shopping for the Champagne yeast.

Hi all

Ive been pondering the concept of using different yeasts in the same fermentation at different times?
Has anyone tried using a ale yeast to begin with and then a cider yeast or visa versa or any other yeast duality or is it a waste of time and money?

Lallemand D47 and QA23 are nice ones. but they all tend to dry out a bit.
About different yeasts: I had a high grav brew that Notty choked on at 1040 and I chucked a Lallemand 1118 (from the top of my head) into the brew and that chew the sugars down to a bit below 1020, close enough for me!

Does it affect the flavour profile though or anything else or does it just restart a stuck fermentation?
So for instance if i used an ale yeast and the cider came down to 995 would throwing a champagne/wine yeast in clear it or clean up an of the other chemical compounds or would it just starve? Same goes if id used ale yeast with malt extract in a beer, could a wine yeast draw anymore sugars out of the malt with out making the beer taste like wine?

What im failing to elequently ask is could u dry out a sweet beer or clear up any unwanted chemical compounds by using a different yeast type in a secondary fermentation?

Does it affect the flavour profile though or anything else or does it just restart a stuck fermentation?
So for instance if i used an ale yeast and the cider came down to 995 would throwing a champagne/wine yeast in clear it or clean up an of the other chemical compounds or would it just starve? Same goes if id used ale yeast with malt extract in a beer, could a wine yeast draw anymore sugars out of the malt with out making the beer taste like wine?

Flavour happens in the early stages, champagne yeasts are very neutral (in my opinion). So yes, you could start fermenting with a proper yeast, and finish it with a champagne yeast. It would work, it would dry out, it would (I guess) clean up as good as an ale yeast would, and there would be no wine flavours, but too much sugar can give a cidery taste, so I've read somewhere. But I really doubt an ale yeast would get it below 1000.

I've only made a couple but I used a cider yeast from Cross My Loof. I'm not averse to a dry cider so I don't add anything to sweeten it when it's finished but the wife said she'd prefer it a bit less dry. Anyway I'm pleased with the results it gave. Some rate the cider yeast you can get off eBay that has an artificial sweetener added if you prefer it less dry.

Latest posts

Back