What yeast for an imperial stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking to brew my first imperial stout and was looking at different yeasts. I plan to aim for around 10%. I am open to any ideas or methods. I brew biab so I plan a reiterated mash plus maybe some form of sugar. I have some Voss kviek but have had mixed results so maybe looking at a dry yeast. At the moment I can't make starters for a liquid yeast. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. I was aiming for around 20 litre batch size.

Personally, I highly recommend Crossmyloof Beior yeast, which is nice an malty. This would mean you could use sugars to up the abv without it becoming too thin.
That was my first thought I have a porter on with that yeast I was thinking about maybe using the yeast cake. It says it has a maximum abv of 9%

No I mean I can wait for the porter to finish and reuse the yeast cake for the beoir. Would it handle a 10% beer

That I don't know, I'm afraid. It might be worth emailing CML to ask; I did when I wanted to try using their Kolsch yeast outside of its recommended range and they were really helpful.

I would use the Voss personally, with US-05 as my second choice. I used Voss in my 16% stout and it came out really smooth and needed very little conditioning time.

I followed your thread on that stout. I have had good turn round using kviek for a stout. The only concern is that I have had a few finish high. Saying that they have been at the lower end of the abv. Around 5 %.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that kveik yeasts don't do so well in lower gravity beers, something to do with less nutrients, and low attenuation is one of the side effects.

If you don't want to make a starter, you could use Wyeast 1028 and add a neutral booster of 12 grams of Safale so5. Make an allowance for your loss in efficiency with the reiterated mash.

Why not try notty? I've just had an imperial stout finish fermenting from og 1.100 to 1.018, Attenuation of 81%. used 1 packet for 12ltres.

I have used Safale 04 for my Imperial Stouts.

When I had more time brewing I used to make a normal gravity brown ale and use the yeast from that for my Imperial.
It would take off like a rocket!!!

Just put my order in for the grain from the homebrew company. Hopefully I will start this next week. I will put up the recipe I go for later and which yeast I decide to go for.

Do you really need to do a reiterated mash for a 10% abv brew, particularly if you're adding a bit of sugar. You could just calculated how much more grain you'd need to get the required volume from a no-sparge BIAB for the main brew and then sparge the grain for a second brew of a mild. I think the technique is called parti-gyle.

Do you really need to do a reiterated mash for a 10% abv brew, particularly if you're adding a bit of sugar. You could just calculated how much more grain you'd need to get the required volume from a no-sparge BIAB for the main brew and then sparge the grain for a second brew of a mild. I think the technique is called parti-gyle.
I have thought about this. The most grain I have used is 6.5kg for an IPA. I am limited to the size of my burco boiler. I could reduce the batch size but I would need to buy another fermentor to age it. I currently have 2x25litre and a 30 litre. I was worried about head space and it oxidizing over time. The plan was to age it with oak barrel chunks after fermentation is complete.

You could do you primary fermentation in either size FV without worrying overmuch about oxidation, and then go to secondary in the 25 litre FV. When it's fermented out, bottle it up and then you won't have to worry about oxidation, but, even so, I lager for 4 weeks in an oversize FV. As long as the beer is still fermenting a bit when you put it in, you'll get enough carbon dioxide to blanket the beer for a while (that won't last forever, though). If you use Voss, as Strange Steve suggests, make sure you can get the temperature over 20 C and keep it there. I've just got some of the dried, and googling how to use it, it seems it can produce a lot of diacetyl at lower temperatures. I've decided to keep mine until the weather warms up a bit.

Back