What's gone wrong, me or the kit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jw80

Reaction score
After a couple of years' hiatus, now seemed like as good a time as any for me to restart homebrewing. Having ordered a Tiny Rebel Cwtch kit I soaked and scrubbed all my (pretty clean in the first place) equipment in VWP, thoroughly rinsed and then sanitised with StarSan before following the instructions to the letter. Result? A SG of 1016! And unsurprisingly after 24 hours at 20C there is absolutely no sign of any action. So, what's gone wrong? Have I done something wrong or is the kit duff? (the kit has two cans of extract, two sachets of yeast and four sachets of hops, two of which get added later). And can I rescue it or should I just pour it down the sink?? I've done a few brews before and never had any problems.

Thanks all

A Starting Gravity of 1016 with 2 cans of extract is impossible.
  • Check your hydrometer, it may be reading wrong (the recent replacement one I bought was) - it should be 1.000 in water
  • Have you mixed it up well?
  • Have you made it up to the volume as per instructions (presumably 23 litres)?
There are very few things that can go wrong with kits so I can't see how the SG can be so far out.

Thanks Darrell, that's what I thought! I forgot to say in the first post, the hydrometer seems fine (as per pictures). I stirred it thoroughly for 2 minutes and yes, 20 litres/36 pints per the pack. I really don't know what else it could be. I'm in Malvern too, I would invite you round to take a look but probably not a good idea right now.....

Attachments

• Beer.jpg
    Beer.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 177
  • Water.jpg
    Water.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 140
If you added all of the malt extract and made it up to the correct volume (36 pints?)and your hydrometer is reading correctly the only reason you have an unexpected low SG reading is because the wort has not been fully mixed.
And as far as inaction that may be because the yeast is slow to start because the wort is so dilute.
On the understanding that the fermentation has not started I suggest you take a sanitised long mixing spoon and give everything a gentle stir for a couple of minutes to homogenise the wort then take another reading. And if you get air into the wort it wont matter since yeast needs oxygen at the beginning of a fermentation to multiply.

i have to agree with terrym here. it can't possibly be 1016 with 2 cans mixed into 20l. my first thought was aloso thick malt at the bottom of the bucket

Have you tried tasting it? Does it taste "done" or is it still a bit too sweet.
I've never tasted it, but looking at the description, below, I would think 1016 is very nearly there. Crystal malts give body, hence SG.
A perfect blend of six caramelly malts and three citrussy American hops. ... Grab a glass, relax and cwtch up with this untraditional Welsh red ale - a perfect blend of six caramelly malts and three citrussy American hops. It isn’t your average bitter - the hops do more to this deep ...

Have you tried tasting it? Does it taste "done" or is it still a bit too sweet.
I've never tasted it, but looking at the description, below, I would think 1016 is very nearly there. Crystal malts give body, hence SG.
A perfect blend of six caramelly malts and three citrussy American hops. ... Grab a glass, relax and cwtch up with this untraditional Welsh red ale - a perfect blend of six caramelly malts and three citrussy American hops. It isn’t your average bitter - the hops do more to this deep ...

his O.G was 1016 though mate, that's the problem. before he even pitched the yeast. posting this 24 hours after putting the kit in the fermenter

Well, this is rather embarrassing isn't it. Turns out I don't know how to use a spoon. Gravity is now 1048 and I feel like a complete numpty 😆

Thanks to all that posted, stay safe and happy brewing

I once used the stabiliser instead of the yeast, that didn't start well, you are not the only numpty here believe me.
:laugh8:

Do keep us posted. I always like hearing about people's first brew after getting back into the hobby.

All the Best,
D. White

Glad it's sorted, liquid malt can take a bit of mixing, it's all a learning experience.

I think that's why I enjoy this hobby so much: 11 years in and I'm still learning, picked up a few things in that last few months that have improved my beer even more.

When i've used liquid malt extract (LME) I soften it by putting the container in a pan of warm water. I also have 5 or 6 liters of previously boiled water in the fv and pour the lme in when its around 40c. giving a good stir. once done I top up with chilled bottled water which takes the temp down to pitching temp. voila!

So, bit of an update on how my Cwtch has been getting along after my slight 'hiccup' at the start..

(Eventual) SG = 1048 on 8 April
1022 on 12 April (success, the spoon worked!)
1014 on 22 April (even better!)
1012 on 25 April

After checking on 22 April and 25 April I was surprised that it seemed to carry on fermenting, with the barrel lid firming up again after a few hours and the airlock showing signs of life. I checked it again yesterday (28 April) and while the gravity might have moved very, very slightly to 1011.5, it's still fermenting as it firmed up again overnight. It's still cloudy too which I was surprised by as my others (from memory) had cleared up by now. It seems to smell and taste OK though.

Not sure why this bit didn't post but.....do I have an infection?? Why does it still seem to be fermenting after 3 weeks?

Latest posts

Back